Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation is about the use of conservation of angular momentum to explain a picture where a person holds onto a cork attached to a rod, which is held horizontally. The person then lets go and the glass in the picture appears to be saved due to this conservation. The conversation also discusses the guidelines for posting questions on the forum and concludes with a request to report any threads that violate the guidelines.
bugatti79
Hi Folks,

How would one use the conservation of angular momentum to explain the attached picture?
The rod is held fixed horizontally..the person holds on to the cork and then let's go...apparently the glass is saved due to this conservation...

Attachments

• 1476905069665.jpg
    1476905069665.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. I am not a student and this is not homework. I am reading physicsnin my spare time and occasionally I put a question up to get peoples opinions/help.
Please advise how I should proceed for future queries..
Thanks
B

Ah...I understand... homework TYPE questions. Ok.
I will know in future! Can this thread be moved or shall I repost?
Thanks
B

What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that any torque applied to a system will result in an equal and opposite torque, keeping the total angular momentum constant.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

One example of conservation of angular momentum is an ice skater spinning on the ice. As the skater pulls their arms in, they decrease their moment of inertia and increase their angular velocity, demonstrating conservation of angular momentum.

Another example is a spinning top. As it starts to tip over, the angular momentum of the top changes, causing it to regain its balance and continue spinning.

How does conservation of angular momentum relate to the conservation of energy?

Conservation of angular momentum is related to the conservation of energy through the principle of conservation of energy. Since angular momentum is a form of kinetic energy, it is conserved in the same way that energy is conserved in a closed system.