Conservation of energy with springs and rotational motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
theBEAST
Messages
361
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


KXS8m.png



Homework Equations


T1 + V1 = T2 + V2

T = kinetic energy
V = potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution


I am only confused about how to get T2. Here is how the answer key gets T2:
FHFo0.png


I don't get why Va = Vb = 0. The wheels have some velocity so it doesn't make sense how they are zero. I realize that they won't rotate because there is no friction but I still think there is a velocity.

I also don't get why they can assume that the rods are pinned. How are they pinned when the spring stretches from √2 to 2m in length (this is from the solution as well)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Va=Vb=0 only when θ = 0. At this angle, AC and CB are horizontal and the maximum separation between A and B has been achieved.

''pinned" is not an assumption, it is expressly given--"All pin joints move without friction". Not sure what the answer key means by like "pinned case".
 
Last edited: