Conservation of Mass of Air Flowing in Duct

In summary, the problem is about air entering a closed channel at 20 degrees celsius with a square duct and a velocity of 0.2 m/s. The question asks if the average velocity of the exiting air is more than 0.2 m/s, would it violate the conservation of mass? The formula for mass flow rate is mentioned and the attempt at a solution is discussed, stating that the density of the air decreases due to the heating of the duct. However, upon further examination, it is discovered that the duct was being heated and the assumption that velocity would not change was incorrect, leading to a mistake in the solution. This mistake serves as an important lesson for the person seeking help.
Red_CCF

Homework Statement

The problem asks, air at 20 degrees celsius enters a 2-m long closed channel with 5mm x 5mm square duct at 0.2 m/s. One part of the question asks, if someone clams that the average velocity of the exiting air is slightly more than 0.2m/s, does this violate the conservation of mass? Explain

Homework Equations

mdot = density * velocity * area

The Attempt at a Solution

My reasoning was that, since 0.2m/s << 343m/s which is the speed of sound in air, the Mach number is very small, so air is basically incompressible and inlet and exit density is equal. Given that cross sectional area does not change, and by conservation of mass mdot must be the same in and out, therefore Vin must be equal to Vout so the exiting air cannot have a higher velocity.

However, I got marked wrong on this question and on my test paper the prof wrote that density decreases. Since it costs money for remarking, I want to be sure if I am correct or not before going for recheck

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't clear to me why the density of the air decreases. Is the duct being heated?

RTW69 said:
It isn't clear to me why the density of the air decreases. Is the duct being heated?

It seems I made a very stupid mistake. Upon a second look at the question I found that the duct was being heated and it seems that I forgot about it. The prof always assumed velocity didn't change when there's a temperature variation for the flow which is how I probably got tricked by this question.

Thanks very much for pointing that out, this was an important lesson learned for me

1. What is the conservation of mass of air flowing in duct?

The conservation of mass of air flowing in duct is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the mass of air entering a duct must equal the mass of air exiting the duct. This means that the total mass of air within the duct remains constant, regardless of any changes in velocity or pressure.

2. Why is the conservation of mass of air flowing in duct important?

The conservation of mass of air flowing in duct is important because it allows us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of air flow in ducts. It is also a crucial concept in the design and operation of ventilation and HVAC systems, as it ensures that the air mass balance is maintained to prevent any potential issues or inefficiencies.

3. How is the conservation of mass of air flowing in duct calculated?

The conservation of mass of air flowing in duct is calculated using the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of air must remain constant at all points along the duct. This equation takes into account the cross-sectional area and velocity of the air flow to determine the mass flow rate.

4. What factors can affect the conservation of mass of air flowing in duct?

There are several factors that can affect the conservation of mass of air flowing in duct, including changes in temperature, pressure, and velocity. Any obstructions or changes in the duct's geometry can also impact the conservation of mass. Additionally, leaks or cracks in the duct can cause air to escape, altering the mass flow rate.

5. How can the conservation of mass of air flowing in duct be maintained?

To maintain the conservation of mass of air flowing in duct, it is important to ensure that the duct is properly designed and constructed to prevent any obstructions or leaks. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify and address any issues that may disrupt the air mass balance. Additionally, accurately measuring and controlling air flow parameters such as velocity and pressure can help to maintain the conservation of mass.