Thermodynamics - Steady State Nozzle, find area of inlet/exit

In summary, Homework Equations state that the exit area is proportional to the mass air flow, the inlet area is proportional to the area, and the pressure is constant.
leafjerky

Homework Statement

In a jet engine, a flow of air at 1000 K, 200 kPa, and 40 m/s enters a nozzle, where the air exits at 500 m/s and 90 kPa. What is the exit temperature, inlet area, and exit area, assuming no heat loss?

Homework Equations

min = mout = m
where m = mass air flow
dE/dt cv = Qcv - Wcv + Σmin(h+ (Vin/2)2 + gz) - Σmout(h+ (Vout/2)2 + gz)

exit area:
m = ρAV
where m = mass air flow, ρ = density, A = area, V = velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved for the exit temperature to be 890 K. I just need to know how to find the exit/inlet areas.

Physics news on Phys.org
leafjerky said:

Homework Statement

In a jet engine, a flow of air at 1000 K, 200 kPa, and 40 m/s enters a nozzle, where the air exits at 500 m/s and 90 kPa. What is the exit temperature, inlet area, and exit area, assuming no heat loss?

Homework Equations

min = mout = m
where m = mass air flow
dE/dt cv = Qcv - Wcv + Σmin(h+ (Vin/2)2 + gz) - Σmout(h+ (Vout/2)2 + gz)

exit area:
m = ρAV
where m = mass air flow, ρ = density, A = area, V = velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved for the exit temperature to be 890 K. I just need to know how to find the exit/inlet areas.
If there is no mass addition between the inlet and the exit, then doesn't continuity apply?

I don't know if you will be able to find the individual areas, but you should be able to calculate an area ratio between the inlet and exit.

Likes leafjerky
SteamKing said:
If there is no mass addition between the inlet and the exit, then doesn't continuity apply?

I don't know if you will be able to find the individual areas, but you should be able to calculate an area ratio between the inlet and exit.

In our problems with nozzles, I believe we are assuming the following:
  • closed system
  • steady state (de/dt = 0)
  • W = 0
  • Q = 0
  • PE = 0
I have emailed my teacher regarding the problem with the areas. I figured she must have left m out on accident. I just wanted to come on here and make sure. Thanks for your help as always SteamKing

1. How is the area of the inlet and exit of a steady state nozzle determined?

The area of the inlet and exit of a steady state nozzle is determined using the conservation of mass and energy equations. These equations take into account the flow rate, density, and velocity of the fluid to calculate the required area for the nozzle to achieve a steady state condition.

2. What is the significance of a steady state condition in thermodynamics?

A steady state condition in thermodynamics refers to a system where all the properties and variables remain constant over time. This allows for accurate and reliable calculations and analysis of the system's behavior, making it an important concept in the study of thermodynamics.

3. Can the area of the inlet and exit of a steady state nozzle change?

Yes, the area of the inlet and exit of a steady state nozzle can change depending on the operating conditions, such as the flow rate and pressure of the fluid. It is important to accurately calculate and design the nozzle's area to achieve the desired steady state condition.

4. How does the area of the inlet and exit affect the performance of a steady state nozzle?

The area of the inlet and exit of a steady state nozzle plays a crucial role in its performance. If the area is too small, it can cause excessive pressure drop and decrease the efficiency of the nozzle. On the other hand, if the area is too large, it can lead to unstable flow and affect the accuracy of the steady state condition.

5. How do you calculate the area of the inlet and exit of a steady state nozzle?

The area of the inlet and exit of a steady state nozzle can be calculated using the continuity and energy equations, along with the known properties of the fluid and the desired steady state condition. Alternatively, it can also be determined through experimental testing and analysis of the nozzle's performance.