1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservative fields in a transverse plane of a transmission line

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    Hello,

As far as I understand, a transmission line is simply a wave-guide for TEM modes.
    If the waves are propagating in the z direction so Hz=Ez=0. How does this fact leads to the conclusion that in any transverse plane (xy plane) the fields are conservative?
    Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2
    Since there's no z-component of H (or E), the electric field (magnetic field) distribution in any given transverse plane at any given instant of time is the same as the static electric-field distribution. Question: Why is this true?

With this information at hand, go back to Faraday's Law in integral form and look at the static case (i.e. d/dt=0). Question: What does it mean that the line integral is equal to zero?

EDIT: If you stop at path-independence, I obviously made it too easy for you. To really understand your problem you should look at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_vector_field#Definition" and understand how it applies to your scenario.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook