Conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator?

In summary, the author is trying to show that a damped harmonic oscillator in one dimension is nonconservative. However, he encounters problems and needs to brute force his way to a solution. For the overdamped case, he shows that x(t) is a non-oscillating decaying exponential which never crosses equilibrium, implying x(t) is 1-1.
inkliing
This isn't homework. I'm reviewing calculus and basic physics after many years of neglect.

I want to show that a damped harmonic oscillator in one dimension is nonconservative. Given F = -kx - [itex]\small\mu[/itex]v, if F were conservative then there would exist P(x) such that [itex]\small -\frac{dP}{dx} = F[/itex]. I want to show that no such function, P(x), exists.

The easy way would be to find a closed curve around which the integral of Fdx would be zero, but since Fdx is a 1-dimensional 1-form, this doesn't seem to be a meaningful way to do it.

So I think brute force has to prevail. It should be true that:
[tex]\small W=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}Fdx = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}(-kx-\mu v)dx = \frac{1}{2}kx_1^2-\frac{1}{2}kx_2^2-\mu\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\frac{dx}{dt}dx = \frac{1}{2}kx_1^2-\frac{1}{2}kx_2^2-\mu\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 dt[/tex]
So let [itex]\small\omega_{\circ}=\sqrt{k/m}\mbox{ , }\zeta=\frac{\mu}{2\sqrt{mk}}\mbox{ , }\omega_1=\left\{\begin{matrix}\omega_{\circ}\sqrt{\zeta^2-1},&\zeta>1\\\omega_{\circ}\sqrt{1-\zeta^2},&\zeta<1\end{matrix}\right.[/itex]
For underdamped [itex]\small\zeta<1\Rightarrow x=e^{-\zeta\omega_{\circ}t}(C_1 cos\omega_1 t + C_2 sin\omega_1 t)[/itex]
[tex]\small\Rightarrow W=\frac{1}{2}kx_1^2-\frac{1}{2}kx_2^2-\mu\int_{t_1}^{t_2}e^{-2\zeta\omega_{\circ}t}[(-\zeta\omega_{\circ}C_1+\omega_1 C_2) cos\omega_1 t + (-\omega_1 C_1-\zeta\omega_{\circ} C_2) sin\omega_1 t]^2 dt[/tex]
Therefore x(t) is not 1-1 [itex]\small\Rightarrow \int_{x_1}^{x_2}vdx[/itex] is multivalued implies W is not a function implies p(x) doesn't exist (since W=-[itex]\small\Delta[/itex]P) implies F is not conservative. Similarly for [itex]\small\zeta=1[/itex].

But in the overdamped case, [itex]\small\zeta[/itex]>1, x(t) is a non-oscillating decaying exponential which never crosses equilibrium, implying x(t) is 1-1, implying W is a function, implying F is conservative. But how can this be? How can a frictional damping force, which dissipates energy as heat, ever be conservative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

as you glance at, your conclusion is wrong.
I guess the culprit is the line of argument, "<...>implying x(t) is 1-1, implying W is a function, implying F is conservative<..>".
Even for a non-conservative system one can write the work in moving from a to b as a functional of the motion, as you do. Proving it that such functional is actually a function of the final position only is very different.
To can prove what you are after by simply showing that for two different functions x1(t) and x2(t), with the condition x1(0)=x2(0) and x1(t_given)=x2(t_given), the computed work is different.
Hope it somehow helps.

I guess I'm trying to convince myself that it's not always possible to find a function, f(x), such that [itex]\small f_{x}(x(t)) = (\frac{dx}{dt})^2[/itex]. I wish I could think of a simple straightforward way of showing that.

1. What is a conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator?

A conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator is a type of system in physics that follows the laws of conservative forces and exhibits damped harmonic motion, meaning it oscillates back and forth with decreasing amplitude over time. It is characterized by having a damping force that is greater than the restoring force, causing the system to reach equilibrium without any oscillation.

2. How does a conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator differ from an underdamped or critically damped oscillator?

An underdamped oscillator has a damping force that is less than the restoring force, allowing it to oscillate with a constant amplitude. A critically damped oscillator has a damping force that is equal to the restoring force, causing it to reach equilibrium in the shortest amount of time without any oscillations. In contrast, a conservative overdamped oscillator has a greater damping force, causing it to reach equilibrium without any oscillations.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservative overdamped harmonic oscillators?

Some examples of conservative overdamped harmonic oscillators include a door closer, a car's shock absorbers, and a pendulum in a viscous fluid. In all of these cases, the damping force is greater than the restoring force, causing the system to reach equilibrium without any oscillations.

4. How is the motion of a conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator described mathematically?

The motion of a conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator can be described using the equation x(t) = A * e^(-γt), where x(t) is the displacement of the oscillator at time t, A is the initial displacement, and γ is the damping coefficient. This equation shows that the displacement decreases exponentially over time, eventually reaching zero at equilibrium.

5. Can a conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator ever exhibit oscillatory behavior?

No, a conservative overdamped harmonic oscillator cannot exhibit oscillatory behavior. This is because the damping force is always greater than the restoring force, causing the system to reach equilibrium without any oscillations. In order for an oscillator to exhibit oscillatory behavior, the restoring force must be greater than the damping force.