1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Considering Existing of a Partial Derivative

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[PLAIN]http://www.netbookolik.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/q1.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought, in order to take derivative function must be cont. so it would be nice to check limf as (x,y) goes to (0, 0) but it did not seem to be a correct solution because appliying l'hopital gets harder and harder. If anyone can help me to solve this problem?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Don't use L'hopital. Instead, convert to polar coordinates. That way, the single variable, r, measures the distance to the origin.

Since [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex],

[tex]\frac{x^5+ y^6}{(x^2+ y^2)^\alpha}= \frac{r^5cos^5(\theta)+ r^6sin^6(\theta)}{r^\alpha}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{r^5}{r^\alpha}(cos^5(\theta)+ rsin^6(\theta)}[/tex]

As long as [itex]\alpha< 5[/itex], that will go to 0 as r goes to 0 no matter what [itex]\theta[/itex] is and so the function will be continuous at (0, 0).

I would recommend you not worry about the continuity of the function itself but go ahead and take the derivatives with respect to x and y.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook