Constant acceleration calculations.

In summary, an antelope with constant acceleration covers a distance of 70.0 m in 7.0 s, reaching a speed of 15.0 m/s at the second point. To determine its speed at the first point and acceleration, relevant equations for constant acceleration must be used, such as x = x0 + v0t + 1/2 at^2. With additional information and knowledge of these equations, the problem can be solved.
cary1234

Homework Statement

an antelope moving with constant acceleration covers the distance between two points 70.0 m apart in 7.0 s. Its speed as it passes the second point in 15.0 m/s .

a) what is its speed at the first point?
b)what is the acceleration?

Homework Equations

what do you mean by relevant equations??
please give me a little more idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, honestly I am advancing to what my teacher teach on us. because she is absent in the last meeting. :( i figure that X sub 0 is 70.0 m and I am stuck at that. i can't figured out how to determine the symbol that i will use.

i think i can use the formula x = X sub 0 + V sub 0x + 1/2 asubx t^2

Physics news on Phys.org
cary1234 said:

Homework Equations

what do you mean by relevant equations??
please give me a little more idea.

Write out all the standard constant acceleration equations.

In part 3, choose one of them, and use it to solve the problem … it will have to include vi vf s and a.

but i don't know how to determine V sub 0x and asubx

I can provide a response to this content by first addressing the student's confusion about relevant equations. Relevant equations in physics are equations that directly relate to the problem at hand and can be used to solve it. In this case, the relevant equations would be those related to constant acceleration, such as the equation for displacement (x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2) and the equation for final velocity (v = v0 + at).

Now, to solve this problem, we can use the given information to find the missing variables. We know that the displacement (x) is 70.0 m, the time (t) is 7.0 s, and the final velocity (v) is 15.0 m/s. We can plug these values into the equation for final velocity to find the initial velocity (v0):

v = v0 + at
15.0 m/s = v0 + a(7.0 s)
Solving for v0, we get v0 = 0.71 m/s

Now, to find the acceleration (a), we can use the equation for displacement:

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
70.0 m = 0 + (0.71 m/s)(7.0 s) + 1/2a(7.0 s)^2
Solving for a, we get a = 2.71 m/s^2

Therefore, the speed at the first point (a) is 0.71 m/s and the acceleration (a) is 2.71 m/s^2.

In summary, by using the relevant equations for constant acceleration, we were able to solve for the missing variables and provide a response to the given content. This is a common approach in science, where we use equations and data to analyze and understand phenomena.

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of an object?

To calculate acceleration, you need to divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²). However, other units such as kilometers per hour squared (km/h²) or miles per hour squared (mph²) may also be used.

3. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing. If an object has a positive acceleration, it is speeding up. If it has a negative acceleration, it is slowing down. If the acceleration is zero, the object is moving at a constant velocity.

4. Can you have a constant acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration if its velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the object's acceleration remains the same throughout its motion.

5. How can I use constant acceleration to predict an object's future motion?

If an object is experiencing constant acceleration, you can use the equations of motion to predict its future position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations take into account the object's initial position, velocity, and acceleration, as well as the time interval and any external forces acting on the object.