1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Acceleration of a motorist

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A speeding motorist traveling 120 km/h passes a stationary police officer. The officer <i>immediately</i> begins pursuit at a constant acceleration of 10.0 km/h/s. How much time will it take for the police officer to reach the speeder, assuming that the speeder maintains a constant speed? How fast will the police officer be traveling at this time?

2. Relevant equations
    These are the equations we have to pull from in class:

Vf=Vi + at
    D= Vit + 1/2at2
    D=1/2t (Vf+Vi)
    Vf2=Vi2 + 2aD

3. The attempt at a solution
    I fixed the mixed units so that 120 km/h equals 33.33 m/s and 10 km/h/s equals 2.778 m/s2
    The officer's Vi is 0.
    Distance(D) of the motorist and Distance(D) of the officer should be the same, as well as their times(t).
    So, Dm=Do
    and tm=to
    I've tried solving the above equations for a distance or a time that i can then sub back in, but nothing seems to be working. I just need a little push in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Write equations for motorist and officer starting at t=0 and apparently x=0 for each.

When the X's equal then the motorist gets his ticket.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?