1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant determining a double root

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    Consider the function y=x^3 - 2x^2 + k, where k is a constant. Explain why k=0 ensures that f(x)=0 has a double root. A double root is a bounce and I thought that when k=0, the x^2 can be immediately common factored out of the function, so you have (x^2)(x-2)=0. Therefore, you will always have a bounce with that x^2. Am I even close?

Also, I have to determine another value of k that ensures f(x)=0 has a double root. This I am completely stuck on...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x) has a double root at x=a, then f(a)=0 and the derivative f'(a)=0. Yes, this is because it has a 'bounce'. Sort of. It doesn't bounce in this case. But it does have zero derivative. Solve the derivative to find where double roots can be and then pick k to make them also roots.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?