Is Constant Velocity Assumed in Work-Energy Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption of constant velocity and zero net force for a box moving down an incline with weight, normal force, and friction as the only forces acting on it. The expert explains that there is no reason to assume constant velocity or zero net force based on the given information, and that the change in kinetic energy depends on additional information that is not provided. The individual acknowledges the mistake and thanks the expert.
mathsciguy
It's been a while since I've done any work-energy questions, and I just noticed how vague some questions could be (or maybe I don't understand it that well). Anyway, suppose I have a box moving down an incline where the only forces acting on it are its weight, the normal force, and friction. Now, can I assume that this box is moving in constant velocity, or there is zero net force? Or is this something that is apparent and it does not need to be assumed since in this particular question the assumption was never given, but the known variables seem fit the case where there is constant velocity.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathsciguy said:
... work-energy questions, ... suppose I have a box moving down an incline where the only forces acting on it are its weight, the normal force, and friction. Now, can I assume that this box is moving in constant velocity, or there is zero net force?
There is no reason from your description to assume a constant velocity. And, from your freshman physics, constant velocity ⇔ zero net force, so there is neither reason to assume zero net force.

net force = 0 ⇔ net work = 0 ⇔ kinetic energy remains constant.

net force ≠ 0 ⇔ net work ≠ 0 ⇔ kinetic energy changes.

Which happens, and increase or decrease in kinetic energy, depends on more information that is not given in your description.

Oh yeah, that was really silly. Thanks.

1. What is the constant velocity assumption?

The constant velocity assumption is the assumption made in physics that an object's velocity remains constant over time, meaning it does not change in magnitude or direction. This assumption is often used in simplified models to make calculations easier.

2. When can the constant velocity assumption be applied?

The constant velocity assumption can be applied in situations where there is no external force acting on the object, or when the object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

3. What are the limitations of the constant velocity assumption?

The constant velocity assumption is a simplification and does not accurately describe the motion of objects in real-life situations. It does not take into account external forces, such as friction, air resistance, or gravity, which can affect an object's velocity.

4. How does the constant velocity assumption affect calculations?

The constant velocity assumption allows for simpler calculations in physics problems, as it eliminates the need to account for changes in velocity over time. However, it can lead to inaccuracies in results if the real-life situation does not meet the conditions for the assumption to be valid.

5. Can the constant velocity assumption be applied to all types of motion?

No, the constant velocity assumption can only be applied to situations where an object's velocity remains constant. In cases where an object's velocity is changing, the constant velocity assumption is not valid and more complex equations must be used to accurately describe the motion.