1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing a Set with the following characteristics

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Construct a set ScR such that S, the interior of S, the closure of S, the closure of the interior of S, and the interior of the closure of S are all distinct (ie no 2 of them are equal)

2. Relevant equations
    closure of S - smallest closed set containing S
    interior of S - set of all points in S for which S is a neighbourhood

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really having trouble starting this...or more precisely, i'm having trouble seeing how this question is possible at all...How can a set, its interior, and its closure all be distinct? If a set is open, then its interior is simply equal to the set itself, so that leaves me with only closed sets to consider. But, if a set is closed, then it contains all of its boundary points, so the closure of S is equal to S...
    so the only exception i could think of is the open/closed sets...

but so far the closest ive gotten to something that satisfies all of those things is the set of rational numbers
    S = Q
    int S = empty set
    Closure of S = Real number line
    but then closure of the interior of S = closure of the empty set = empty set
    so thats equal to int S and doesn't work
    and the interior of the closure of S = real number line = closure of S so that doesn't work either...help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2
    I just finished answering this question from someone else. You can find the thread here:
    <https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314690>
    Enjoy!

4. May 19, 2009 #3
    Oh wow...awesome! thanks :) (its probably a classmate of mine haha...since both of us thought of rational numbers, and thats something we discussed in class)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook