Showing a polynomial is solvable by radicals

In summary, the student is trying to solve a polynomial by radicals, but is having difficulty because 1 is a root and he can't seem to find a splitting field. He has tried assuming r to be a root, but that didn't work. He is now trying to solve the equation using classical formulas for the roots of a quartic polynomial. He thinks that if you think (wrongly) that a radical must be of the form ##\sqrt{\cdots}##, then your conclusion is valid.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Show that the polynomial f(x) = x^5 - x^3 - 3x^2 + 3 is solvable by radicals where the coefficients of f are from the field of rational numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My strategy to solve this problem was to construct a splitting field and then see if that splitting field lies in some radical extension. I first noted that 1 is a root of f(x), so I divided f(x) by (x-1) and got the quotient x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3.

From here I hit a block. I tried assuming r to be a root and then divided x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3 by (x-r) to arrive at the quotient x^3 + (r+1)x^2 + (r^2+r)x + (r^3 + r^2 - 3) which didn't seem to be much help. How else can I try to find the roots of x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3 so I can construct a splitting field?

Physics news on Phys.org
factor by grouping
$$x^5 - x^3 - 3x^2 + 3=x^3(x^2-1)-3(x^2-1)$$

Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Show that the polynomial f(x) = x^5 - x^3 - 3x^2 + 3 is solvable by radicals where the coefficients of f are from the field of rational numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My strategy to solve this problem was to construct a splitting field and then see if that splitting field lies in some radical extension. I first noted that 1 is a root of f(x), so I divided f(x) by (x-1) and got the quotient x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3.

From here I hit a block. I tried assuming r to be a root and then divided x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3 by (x-r) to arrive at the quotient x^3 + (r+1)x^2 + (r^2+r)x + (r^3 + r^2 - 3) which didn't seem to be much help. How else can I try to find the roots of x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3 so I can construct a splitting field?

One root of ##x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3## is ##x = -1##. Alternatively, you can use classical formulas for the roots of a quartic polynomial.

Likes PsychonautQQ
lurflurf said:
factor by grouping
Nice find. Could you elaborate on how this grouping will help me find all 5 roots? Doing this definitely helps me to see that (+/-)1 are both roots, but now what?

Ray Vickson said:
One root of ##x^4 + x^3 - 3x - 3## is ##x = -1##. Alternatively, you can use classical formulas for the roots of a quartic polynomial.
Ah, how could I have missed that. Thank you, now this polynomial factors as (x-1)(x+1)(x^3 - 3) where x^3-3 has complex roots, and therefore I believe this polynomial will not be solvable by radicals

PsychonautQQ said:
Ah, how could I have missed that. Thank you, now this polynomial factors as (x-1)(x+1)(x^3 - 3) where x^3-3 has complex roots, and therefore I believe this polynomial will not be solvable by radicals
What makes you believe this? Can't we solve equations of degree ##3##? And what is the algebraic reason?

Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:

If you think (wrongly) that a radical must be of the form ##\sqrt{\cdots}##, then your conclusion is valid. However, radicals are things like ##\sqrt[n]{\cdots} = (\cdots)^{1/n}## for integer ##n##, so certainly the equation ##x^3 = 3## is solvable by radicals.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
lurflurf said:
factor by grouping

I thought of that too - however it looks to me from previous related questions that the questions are not so much to do with such base aims as solving equations as formulating the maths in some more hifalutin' abstract algebra language.

Here it looks like setting that fairly elementary procedure that you and I can manage in some wider context. I do not wish to be anti-intellectual. Although I do deal with some applications of polynomials I somehow doubt this will ever be necessary for me, but I can suppose that it has some advantages. It would be interesting to be told what these are. I expect somebody knows - though I wonder if the student knows?

Well from posts it looks like the student knows things we don't know, - but is fairly new and shaky on things that a lot of us know. o0)

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to be solvable by radicals?

When a polynomial is solvable by radicals, it means that its roots can be expressed using a combination of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and taking nth roots of integers. In other words, the solutions can be written using a finite number of operations and radical symbols.

2. How do you know if a polynomial is solvable by radicals?

A polynomial is solvable by radicals if its degree is 4 or less and it has rational coefficients. Additionally, the polynomial must be irreducible, meaning that it cannot be factored into two polynomials with lower degrees. This condition ensures that the solutions cannot be expressed in simpler forms.

3. Can all polynomials be solved by radicals?

No, not all polynomials are solvable by radicals. The famous mathematician Galois proved that there are certain polynomials, known as Galois polynomials, that cannot be solved by radicals. These polynomials have roots that cannot be expressed using a finite combination of operations and radicals.

4. What is the significance of showing that a polynomial is solvable by radicals?

Showing that a polynomial is solvable by radicals is important because it allows us to find exact solutions to polynomial equations. It also helps us understand the structure of the roots of a polynomial and can provide insights into the behavior of the polynomial function.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving polynomials besides using radicals?

Yes, besides using radicals, there are other methods for solving polynomials such as using numerical methods like Newton's method or using special functions like the Lambert W function. However, these methods may not always provide exact solutions and may be more computationally intensive.