Constructing time-independent wave function with given energies

In summary, constructing a time-independent wave function with given energies and probabilities can be done using the expansion theorem. This involves expressing the wave function as an infinite sum of energy eigenstates, with each state having a corresponding probability. A specific example of such a wave function is Ψ(x,0) = 1/sqrt(2)*φ1 + sqrt(2/5)*φ3 + 1/sqrt(10)*φ5, where φn = sqrt(2/a)*sin(n*pi*x/a). It is unique because it only includes odd energy states, which is a result of using the Coefficient expansion theorem.
droedujay
Does anyone know how to construct a Time-independent wave function with given energies and probability on obtaining energies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about constructing an initial wave function, [tex]\Psi (x,0)[/tex], for a particle in a potential given that information?

If so, what you are describing can be done by using the expansion theorem. Using that theorem, you can express a general time-independent wave function as an infinite sum of the energy eigenstates:

[tex]| \Psi > = \sum_n^{\infty} C_n |n> [/tex]

where [tex]|n> [/tex] is the wave function for the energy E_n and C_n is the probability for measuring that energy.

I can't offer anything more specific given that information, but if you have a homework problem or something similar involving this, please post it in the homework help forum and I'll help you if I can.

Last edited:
I found out the Coefficient expansion theorem and constructed the following wavefunction:

Ψ(x,0) = 1/sqrt(2)*φ1 + sqrt(2/5)*φ3 + 1/sqrt(10)*φ5
where φn = sqrt(2/a)*sin(n*pi*x/a)

Is this unique why or why not? I'm thinking that it has something to do with all odd Energies.

1. What is a time-independent wave function?

A time-independent wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that does not change over time. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a specific state at a given time.

2. How is a time-independent wave function constructed?

A time-independent wave function is constructed by solving the Schrödinger equation for a specific quantum system. This involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator.

3. What are the key properties of a time-independent wave function?

The key properties of a time-independent wave function include being square-integrable, normalized, and continuous. It must also satisfy the Schrödinger equation and be able to describe the energy eigenstates of a quantum system.

4. How are energies determined in a time-independent wave function?

The energies in a time-independent wave function are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the corresponding energy eigenvalues. These energies represent the possible energy states that a particle can have in a given quantum system.

5. What is the significance of constructing a time-independent wave function with given energies?

Constructing a time-independent wave function with given energies allows us to accurately describe the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their properties. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing complex quantum systems in fields such as quantum mechanics and quantum chemistry.