Cont. numerical solution to gravity

In summary, numerical solution to gravity involves using computational methods to solve equations describing the gravitational interactions between objects. It differs from analytical solutions in that it approximates solutions using algorithms and simulations, and is suitable for complex systems. The main factors considered in numerical solution to gravity are the masses, positions, and external forces on objects. Its advantages include the ability to study complex systems with accuracy and incorporate external factors, but it is limited by the precision of algorithms and may not be as intuitive as analytical solutions.
Timothy S
I believe I am misunderstanding the equations I must use for the Runge Kutta of an orbit in polar coordinates.
What differential equations can i use which will allow me to numerically determine both an object's distance and angle in an orbit, dependent on time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about a two body problem?

1. What is numerical solution to gravity?

Numerical solution to gravity refers to the use of computational methods to solve equations that describe the gravitational interactions between objects. This approach allows for the prediction of the motions and positions of objects in a system based on their initial conditions and the laws of gravity.

2. How is numerical solution to gravity different from analytical solutions?

Numerical solution to gravity involves approximating the solution to equations using algorithms and computer simulations, while analytical solutions involve finding exact mathematical expressions to describe the system. Numerical solutions are often used for complex systems where analytical solutions are not feasible.

3. What factors are considered in numerical solution to gravity?

The main factors considered in numerical solution to gravity are the masses and positions of objects in the system, as well as the gravitational constant and any external forces or accelerations acting on the objects.

4. What are the advantages of using numerical solution to gravity?

Numerical solutions to gravity allow for the study of complex systems that cannot be solved analytically. They also provide more accurate results for systems with multiple interacting objects and can incorporate various external factors that may affect the system.

5. What are the limitations of numerical solution to gravity?

Numerical solutions to gravity are limited by the precision and accuracy of the algorithms and computer simulations used. They also require significant computational resources and may not provide exact solutions, but rather approximations. Additionally, numerical solutions may be less intuitive to interpret compared to analytical solutions.