1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contact Forces Question(s) part 2

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three blocks are placed onto a frictionless horizontal surface. These blocks are side by side and are in contact with each other. Let m1=2m2=5m3. Answer the following exercises.
    (Part 1)
    a)If a force is applied to m1, then show that

i)Fa = 17/2m3a

ii)F12 = 7/2m3a where F12 is the contact force of mass 1 on mass 2

iii)F23=m3a

Question: Consider the same three blocks as in the question above. If these blocks rest upon a rough floor (μ=0.11), show that if a force is applied to m1, then:
    (Part 2)
    i)Fa = 17/2 m3(a+μg)

ii)F12 = 7/2 m3(a+μg)

iii)F23 = m3(a+μg)

2. Relevant equations
    Σ Fx = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    All in all both questions (part 1 and part 2) are more or less the same except this question (part 2) includes the force of friction while the other (part 1) does not. I have already solved all the questions for part 1, and where I am having difficulty is, is in getting rid of the mass (m) in "μmg" for this question so that I could get the values as seen above.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    Never mind I figured out where I went wrong and now know what to do for this question so a reply is not needed. But thank you to those who were trying to help by trying to explain the question to me.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    It would be good to see your attempt at the questions, then maybe I could understand what you are saying a little better. From what I have read you are finding it difficult cancelling the masses in all of part 2.

F = ma
    Therefore you have ma2 = 17/2 m3 (a+μg)
    Divide by m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?