Contact Forces Question(s) part 2

In summary: Therefore a2 = 17/2 m3 (a+μg)/ma2 = 17/2 (a+μg)m2Then solve for a2 by dividing the whole equation by m2.a2 = 17/2 (a+μg)This is then the force applied to mass 2.
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

Three blocks are placed onto a frictionless horizontal surface. These blocks are side by side and are in contact with each other. Let m1=2m2=5m3. Answer the following exercises.
(Part 1)
a)If a force is applied to m1, then show that

i)Fa = 17/2m3a

ii)F12 = 7/2m3a where F12 is the contact force of mass 1 on mass 2

iii)F23=m3a

Question: Consider the same three blocks as in the question above. If these blocks rest upon a rough floor (μ=0.11), show that if a force is applied to m1, then:
(Part 2)
i)Fa = 17/2 m3(a+μg)

ii)F12 = 7/2 m3(a+μg)

iii)F23 = m3(a+μg)

Homework Equations

Σ Fx = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

All in all both questions (part 1 and part 2) are more or less the same except this question (part 2) includes the force of friction while the other (part 1) does not. I have already solved all the questions for part 1, and where I am having difficulty is, is in getting rid of the mass (m) in "μmg" for this question so that I could get the values as seen above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I figured out where I went wrong and now know what to do for this question so a reply is not needed. But thank you to those who were trying to help by trying to explain the question to me.

It would be good to see your attempt at the questions, then maybe I could understand what you are saying a little better. From what I have read you are finding it difficult cancelling the masses in all of part 2.

F = ma
Therefore you have ma2 = 17/2 m3 (a+μg)
Divide by m.

What is the difference between normal force and gravitational force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. It is a reactive force that prevents objects from passing through each other. On the other hand, gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun.

Can contact forces act in opposite directions?

Yes, contact forces can act in opposite directions. For example, when you push a box on a table, the box exerts a normal force on the table in the opposite direction. This is known as Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How do contact forces affect the motion of an object?

Contact forces can either cause an object to accelerate or decelerate, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. For example, pushing a box in the same direction as its motion will cause it to speed up, while pushing it in the opposite direction will cause it to slow down.

What is the difference between static friction and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding past each other when there is no relative motion between them. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is always less than or equal to the maximum static friction force.

Can contact forces exist between non-solid objects?

Yes, contact forces can exist between non-solid objects. For example, when you hold a balloon filled with air, the air molecules inside are constantly colliding with the surface of the balloon, creating a contact force. Similarly, the force of air resistance on a moving object is also a contact force between the air particles and the object's surface.