1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Testing Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book!

1. Mar 13, 2018 #1
    Undergrad physics students, are you taking the physics GRE in April or next fall? We have a contest for you! Big thanks to Cambridge University Press for donating a copy of the newly published 3rd edition of Conquering the Physics GRE!

How to win: Post your favorite physics problem you've run into during your studies and show how to solve it step by step. The community will vote through "likes". Member with the most "likes" wins. Contest ends 3/23/18.

International students are welcome to participate as the publisher has kindly offered to ship from their warehouse worldwide!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2018 at 5:34 PM #2

Gold Member

At this rate, Greg's original post is the only one with any likes or a post at all. Where are our PF members?
  4. Mar 18, 2018 at 7:28 PM #3

Staff: Mentor

Spring break!
  5. Mar 18, 2018 at 8:38 PM #4

Gold Member

Would love to participate, but I havent taken any Physics courses yet! :cry:
    But now that I know this is a thing, Ill horde all my future physics problems for cases such as this:biggrin:
  6. Mar 18, 2018 at 11:29 PM #5

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm not interested in the book, but one of my favorites is the demonstration that every straight tunnel through a ball of constant density has the same oscillation period for frictionless motion, which also matches the period of an orbit directly above the surface.
    I didn't post steps, so feel free to use that if you want.
  7. Mar 19, 2018 at 1:16 AM #6

Gold Member

This is very sad. May I post a mathematics problem? It was a very neat derivation of PI, which I particularly enjoyed. I can post here a scanned copy of my working (was very long).
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018 at 1:26 AM
  8. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:19 PM #7
    I'm interested! Is this still open?
  9. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:34 PM #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted