Book recommendation to study for the Physics GRE in ~40 days

In summary, for those looking to prepare for the Physics GRE in a short amount of time, the book "Conquering the Physics GRE" by Yoni Kahn and Adam Anderson is highly recommended. The book covers all the major topics tested on the Physics GRE, with detailed explanations and practice problems. It also includes helpful tips and strategies for approaching the exam. With dedicated studying, this book can help students achieve a high score on the Physics GRE in just 40 days.
ian_dsouza
I recently took the decision to apply for physics grad school and registered for the GRE test coming up on Oct. 24, a couple of days ago. The thing is I feel I'm vastly under-prepared as my academic background is in engineering. I have had only a freshman course in physics. I've been recently studying lagrangian mechanics. I'm looking for a recommendation on a book to prepare for the exam. I've looked through the forum and found that many recommend Halliday/Resnick/Walker as well as Conquering the Physics GRE by Kahn and Anderson. I was wondering, given the time (~40 days) and the basic theoretical knowledge, what's the best way to prepare for this exam.

My physics background:
Classical mechanics - Vector based classical mech, Lagrangian mechanics, don't know hamiltonian
EM - little electrostatics and magnetostatics
QM - the uncertainty principle and blackbody radiation, don't know schroedinger equation and forth
Statistical mech - almost nothing except conventional thermodynamics
Optics - basic lens optics, a little bit on interference, diffraction.
Relativity - have a qualitative idea about time dilation and length contraction.

I last saw most of these topics about 8 years ago, back in undergrad. So, I'd still need a review for these.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some websites that may help you:

http://web.mit.edu/uwip/www/advice/gre/

I suggest taking a couple of practice exams immediately and see where you're deficit and then focus what you find.

You don't have much time to prepare so you need to start now and you need to consider that you may need to take it a couple of times to get the grade you need.

Also find some GRE test tips that work and use them when you take the practice exams. You have to play to the exams weaknesses to do well.

Thanks jedishrfu. will take one of those practice tests right away.

1. How should I prioritize my studying for the Physics GRE in 40 days?

It is important to first assess your strengths and weaknesses in physics topics. Focus on reviewing and practicing the topics that you are less comfortable with, while also dedicating some time to reinforcing your understanding of the topics you are more confident in. Additionally, make sure to allocate enough time for practice tests and simulations to get familiar with the format and timing of the exam.

2. Are there any specific books or study materials that are recommended for the Physics GRE?

Some popular and highly recommended books for studying for the Physics GRE are "Conquering the Physics GRE" by Yoni Kahn and Adam Anderson, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "The Princeton Review Cracking the GRE Physics Subject Test". It is important to choose a book that is aligned with the content and format of the Physics GRE and that suits your learning style.

3. How can I effectively manage my time while studying for the Physics GRE in a short period of time?

One strategy is to create a study schedule and stick to it. Break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and assign specific topics to each day. It is also important to take breaks and give your brain time to rest and recharge. Practice time management techniques during your study sessions to help you stay focused and efficient.

4. Can I rely solely on books and self-study to prepare for the Physics GRE?

While self-study can be a valuable tool, it is recommended to also utilize other resources such as online practice tests, study groups, and tutoring services. These can help provide additional support and guidance, as well as offer different perspectives and strategies for approaching the exam.

5. How many practice tests should I take before the Physics GRE?

It is recommended to take at least 2-3 full-length practice tests before the actual exam. This will not only help you get familiar with the format and timing of the test, but also allow you to identify any areas that need extra attention before the exam. Remember to also review and analyze your mistakes in order to improve your performance on the actual test.