1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continous function in interval problem

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f: [0,2]\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] be continous and [itex]f(0) = f(2)[/itex]. Show that there exist [itex]x,y\in [0,2][/itex] with the following property:
    [itex](*)\ y-x = 1[/itex] and [itex]f(x) = f(y)\ (*)[/itex]
    2. Relevant equations
    Bolzano-Cauchy theorem: If a function [itex]f[/itex] is continous in some interval [itex][a,b][/itex] and [itex]f(a) <0, f(b) > 0[/itex] (or vice versa) then there exists [itex]c\in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex]f(c) = 0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If [itex]f[/itex] was constant, then it's trivial. Fix [itex]x\in [0,1][/itex] and the condition [itex]f(x+1)-f(x) = 0[/itex] is satisfied.
    Hence, assume [itex]f[/itex] is not constant.

Let us observe function [itex]g(x) := f(x+1)-f(x)[/itex], [itex]0\leq x\leq 1[/itex]. The objective is to show that [itex]g(x)=0[/itex] is possible with which we will have proven the existence of the required [itex]x,y[/itex] (is this correct to say? )

Let us note that:
    [itex]g(0) = f(1) - f(0)[/itex] and [itex]g(1) = f(2) - f(1) = f(0) - f(1)[/itex]. If [itex]g(0) > 0[/itex], then [itex]g(1) <0[/itex] (or vice versa), we can therefore conclude that:
    Per Bolzano-Cauchy theorem there exists [itex]c\in (0,1)[/itex] such that [itex]g(c) = f(c+1) - f(c) = 0[/itex] from which we can establish [itex]x = c[/itex] and [itex]y = c+1[/itex] and the condition [itex](*)[/itex] is satisfied

If [itex]g(0) = 0[/itex] then also [itex]g(1) = 0[/itex] and again the condition [itex](*)[/itex] is satisfied. [itex]Q.E.D[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Looks nice. And what exactly do you expect as replies here? Does your proof still hold for arbitrary c ∈[0,d] with y - x = c and arbitrary continuous functions f : [a,b] → ℝ with f(a) = f(b) and how big can d be at most?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  4. Nov 7, 2015 #3
    Most of all expect criticism on presenting proof, generalizing the problem is welcome. Also would like the proof to be challenged if there is something I might have missed.

5. Nov 7, 2015 #4

fresh_42

I've seen nothing wrong. And your presentation reveals that you work carefully and think about the special cases. I'ld let it go through. (Bluster me if I'm wrong!) There is only one little, tiny, small remark from my side: Don't shout QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRANDUM. A simpe qed will do and a ◊ or box is even more pleasant

6. Nov 7, 2015 #5

fresh_42

I've seen nothing wrong. And your presentation reveals that you work carefully and think about the special cases. I'ld let it go through. (Bluster me if I'm wrong!) There is only one little, tiny, small remark from my side: Don't shout QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRANDUM. A simpe qed will do and a ◊ or box is even more pleasant. :wink:

- sorry, probs with the connection and a failed search for a remove button

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted