1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuation of 6 -4 -2007

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    Hello this is not a new thread but a continutaion of the thread of 6th april which I posted. I do not know how to continue the thread and so was not sure and so started as a new topic again. Please refer to my last post also.

This is regarding P(Tv) where T is the transfromation from V -> W and P is the change of basis from V -> V.

The points which siddharth etal mention is clear but what is unclear is the following What is unclear is that when u are doing this u are actually trying to premultiply a vector which is already in the space W. So does it mean if W ism dim space and P is n x n and m < n then when u multiply the P with Tv do u assume that the u extend the dimension of a vector in W to n by adding n -m 0 s to the end

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "premultiply a vector which is already in the space W"? Whatever basis you use in V, you are multiplying a vector in V by a matrix to get a vector in W.
    If V has dimension n and W dimension m, then, yes, P is n by n but T? is n by m: n columns and m rows. T(Pv)= (TP)v where v is in V and TP is also n by m.

4. Apr 9, 2007 #3
    Hi ,

What is understandable is the following

v in basis B -----------> v in basis B' -------------> W(on application of T)

v is in B and so Pv takes it to another basis in B'
    so T(v) w.r.t basis B' is nothing but T (Pv) with respect to basis B.

q1. Can u apply T to a vector on another basis? Prob u can.

Is it P(Tv) or is it (PT)v that is being equated to T(Pv) ?

Probably second one. In that case I am not clear about the physical meaning of PT.

If not so then I am not clear what is the meaning of applying P on a vector in W since Tv is already a vector in W.

Thanks a lot for the help and putting up with me.

5. Apr 9, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This doesn't make any sense.

If P is a change of basis in V, you can't in general write down PT. since P is nxn and T is mxn. (V is n dim and W is m dim, and there is nothing that implies m=n).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?