1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuety of splitted function

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The English for "splitted function" is "piecewise defined" function although here it is more "pointwise" defined:
    f(x)= 0 if x is irrational, 1/n if x is ration, x= m/n reduced to lowest terms (and n is assumed to be positive).

As I said in a previous response, [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if [itex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} f(a_n)= L[/itex] for any sequence [itex]{a_n}[/itex] converging to x. Obviously for any sequence, [itex]a_n[/itex]., of irrational numbers converging any x, that limit is 0.

So in order that this be continuous, the limit as we approach along rational numbers must also be 0 and the function value must be 0.

Here's a hint. If x= m/n, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there are only a finite number of possible N such that [itex]N< 1/epsilon[/itex] (so [itex]1/N> 1/\epsilon[/itex]) and for each such N there are only a finite number of M such that M/N is within [itex]\delta[/itex] of m/n. Use that to prove that the limit always exists and is always equal to 0.
  4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    i know the definition of bound and of continuity
    i cant understand what the last hint means and how to use it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?