1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuety of these functions

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you used "[x]" I was not sure if you meant "floor of x", [itex]\floor(c)[/itex] or "ceiling of x", [tex]\ceil(x)[/itex]. From the I'm second link it appears that you mean the "floor" function.
    Yes, [itex]\floor(x)[/itex] is constant between intgers: n-1 from n-1 up to n and n from n to n+1 so it is really only necessary to look at what happens as you approach the integer n from below and above.

The last one appears to be "piecewise", defined by different formulas for x rational and irrational but there appears to be something written before "[itex]\pi x[/itex] for x rational. Is that "sin"?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. Dec 28, 2008 #3
    yes its sin

does it change your answer?

5. Dec 29, 2008 #4
    how to do a limit of this x*1/[x]

i get 0*+infinity
    ??

6. Dec 29, 2008 #5
    how to solve the splitted
    i cant imagine the graph
    i cant do a limit
    because rational and irrational are infinitely mixed
    what to do?

7. Dec 29, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For x any number other than an integer, if x is between n and n+ 1, [x]= n so
    x/[x]= x/n and x[x]= xn. It should be obvious that the function is continuous there. For x slightly below n, say x= n-y, x/[x]= n-y/(n-1) and x[x]= (n-y)n-1= xn/xy. For x slightly larger than n, say x= n+ y, x/[x]= (n+y)/n and x[x]= (n+y)n. Are the limits of those, as y goes to 0, the same?

As for [itex]sin(\pi x)[/itex] for x rational, 0 for x irrational, use the fact that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= L[/itex] if and only if [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} f(a_n)= L[/itex] for any sequence [itex]{a_n}[/itex] converging to x. In particular, for any number x, there exist a sequence of irrational numbers converging to x so for such a sequence the limit of this sequence will be 0. That means that in order that the limit itself exist at x, we must also have [itex]sin(a_n\pi)[/itex] converge to 0 also. Since sine is a continuous function, it is easy to see that that limit is [itex]sin(\pi x)[/itex]. That is, this function is continuous exactly for those x such that [itex]sin(\pi x)= 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?