1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity and liimit of functions

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [tex]f_n : [0, 1]\rightarrow R[/tex] is continuous and lim[tex]_{n \rightarrow \infty}f_n(x)[/tex] exists for each x in [0,1]. Denote the limit by [tex]f(x)[/tex].

Is f necessarily continuous?

2. Relevant equations
    We know by Arzela-Ascoli theorem:
    If [tex]f_n: [a,b] \rightarrow R[/tex] is continuous, and [tex]f_n[/tex] converges to [tex]f [/tex]uniformly, then [tex]f[/tex] is continuous.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Question: Does the fact of knowing
    give us insight to declare that [tex]f_n[/tex] converges to [tex]f[/tex] uniformly- and thus satisfying Arzela-Ascoli's theorem?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Levesque

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, no. They only gave you that the fn are continuous and converge pointwise. I think they want you find an example of a sequence of continuous functions that are pointwise convergent but don't have an continuous limit. Can you think of one?

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Can someone provide some insight for me as to what the following means:

And how I could use this fact to construct my justification for whether f is necessarily continuous?

5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f isn't necessarily continuous. Face it. It says fn converges at each point. That's not enough to prove f is continuous.

6. Dec 13, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Dick is suggesting that you find a counter-example. Taking fn to be piecewise linear will suffice.

7. Dec 13, 2009 #6

Landau

Science Advisor

The Arzela-Ascoli theorem asserts something about a sequence of equicontinuous functions. This has little to do with your question [or you have seen a different version of A-A].

Just construct a counter-example, i.e. a sequence of continuous functions (f_n)_n which converges pointwise to some discontinuous function. (Every book that introduces the concept of 'uniform convergence' will have such a counter-example, so you probably have encountered one already.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook