Continuous and differentiable Of Cos

In summary, the problem is to prove that the given equation for cosine is continuous and differentiable at each value of x in the set of real numbers. The suggested approach is to use the Weierstrass M-test, but the value of M_n is unclear. An alternative approach is proposed, using L as a bound for x and the Ratio Test to show convergence of the sum of M_n. However, the application of the Ratio Test is uncertain.
kala

Homework Statement

how could i prove that cos x= sum (n=1 to 00) [((-1)^n) * x^(2n)/((2n)!)]
is continuous and differentiable at each x in R

Homework Equations

the Taylor Expansion of cosine is the given equation

The Attempt at a Solution

basically i need to prove that the Taylor expansion of cos is differentiable and continuous. I think i need to use the Weierstrass M-test, however i could not figure out what M_n was, is there a different way to go about this one, or any suggestions for M_n

Physics news on Phys.org

Could I choose M_n to be something like this:

Let x be any real number and let L be large enough that x is in [-L, L]. Then M_n=L^(2n)/(2n)! and then use the Ratio Test to show convergence the convergence of the sum of M_n.

I think I could use the Ratio Test here, but I'm not sure how.

What is the definition of "continuous and differentiable of cos"?

The continuous and differentiable of cos is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of the cosine function. It means that the cosine function is continuous and has a derivative at every point on its domain.

What is the difference between continuous and differentiable of cos?

The main difference between continuous and differentiable of cos is that continuity refers to the smoothness of the graph of the cosine function, while differentiability refers to the existence of the derivative at every point on its domain.

What is the importance of continuous and differentiable of cos in mathematics?

The concept of continuous and differentiable of cos is important in mathematics because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of the cosine function, which is a fundamental trigonometric function used in many mathematical models and applications.

How can we determine if a function is continuous and differentiable of cos?

A function is continuous and differentiable of cos if it meets the following criteria: 1) It is defined and continuous at every point on its domain, 2) It has a derivative at every point on its domain, and 3) The derivative is equal to the original function.

What are some real-life applications of continuous and differentiable of cos?

Continuous and differentiable of cos has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used to model the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, and the fluctuation of stock prices.