Continuous and smooth on a compact set implies differentiability at a point

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if a function is continuous on [a,b] and smooth on (a,b), then there exists a point x in (a,b) where the derivative of the function exists. The definition of smoothness is given and the conversation focuses on the simpler case where f(a) = f(b). The speaker is attempting to show that the limits of one sided difference quotients at x exist and apply smoothness to prove differentiability, but is struggling to do so. They are seeking clarification or assistance in this proof.
resolvent1
I'm trying to prove that if a function is continuous on [a,b] and smooth on (a,b) then there's a point x in (a,b) where f'(x) exists. The definition of smoothness is: f is smooth at x iff [itex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ f(x+h) + f(x-h) - 2f(x) }{ h } = 0 [/itex].

I'm starting with the simpler case where f(a) = f(b). I know that f has a max x and a min y on [a,b], and that if both occur at a or b, then f is a constant function. So I'm assuming wlog that the max x occurs somewhere in (a,b).

So at x,
[itex] - \frac{ (f(x) - f(x+h)) } {h} \leq 0 [/itex] and
[itex] \frac{f(x-h) - f(x)}{h} \leq 0 [/itex].

This is where I'm getting stuck. I'd like to show that the limits of the one sided difference quotients as [itex] h \rightarrow 0- [/itex] exist and then apply smoothness to show that these must be equal, hence f is differentiable at x. However, I haven't been able to show that they exist - taking the infima of both sides doesn't seem to yield anything, so I'm guessing I might be missign something else. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
resolvent1 said:
I'm trying to prove that if a function is continuous on [a,b] and smooth on (a,b) then there's a point x in (a,b) where f'(x) exists. The definition of smoothness is: f is smooth at x iff [itex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ f(x+h) + f(x-h) - 2f(x) }{ h } = 0 [/itex].

I'm starting with the simpler case where f(a) = f(b). I know that f has a max x and a min y on [a,b], and that if both occur at a or b, then f is a constant function. So I'm assuming wlog that the max x occurs somewhere in (a,b).

So at x,
[itex] - \frac{ (f(x) - f(x+h)) } {h} \leq 0 [/itex] and
[itex] \frac{f(x-h) - f(x)}{h} \leq 0 [/itex].

This is where I'm getting stuck. I'd like to show that the limits of the one sided difference quotients as [itex] h \rightarrow 0- [/itex] exist and then apply smoothness
What, exactly, is your definition of "smooth"?

to show that these must be equal, hence f is differentiable at x. However, I haven't been able to show that they exist - taking the infima of both sides doesn't seem to yield anything, so I'm guessing I might be missign something else. Thanks in advance.

The definition I'm using for smooth is:

A function [itex]f : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] is said to be smooth at a point [itex]x \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] iff it is defined in a neighborhood of x and

[itex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ f(x+h) + f(x-h) - 2f(x) }{ h } = 0 [/itex].

1. What is the definition of continuous and smooth on a compact set?

The function is considered continuous if it has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph over the entire compact set. It is considered smooth if it has derivatives of all orders over the same set.

2. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

A function is differentiable at a point if it has a well-defined derivative at that specific point, meaning that the function is smooth enough to have a tangent line at that point.

3. How does continuity and smoothness on a compact set imply differentiability at a point?

Since continuity and smoothness guarantee the existence of derivatives of all orders over the compact set, it also guarantees the existence of a well-defined derivative at any point within that set.

4. Is it possible for a function to be continuous and smooth on a compact set but not differentiable at a point?

Yes, it is possible. A function can have a sudden jump or break at a specific point within a compact set, making it not differentiable at that point even though it is continuous and smooth over the entire set.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between continuity, smoothness, and differentiability on a compact set?

This relationship is important because it allows us to make conclusions about a function's behavior and properties based on its continuity, smoothness, and differentiability over a compact set. It also helps us to understand and analyze more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler continuous and smooth functions over compact sets.