1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous function from Continuous functions to R

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I think I've gotten this problem, but I was wondering if somebody could check my work. I still question myself. Maybe I shouldn't, but it feels better to get a nod from others.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the space of functions C[0,1] with distance defined as:

[tex]d(f,g)=\sqrt{\int_0^1 (f(x)-g(x))^2 dx}[/tex].

Suppose we have a function F(f)=f(0). Is this function continuous?

2. Relevant equations
    Epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answer is no, and my reasoning is based on a bit of real analysis that I remember that I'm trying to apply to metric spaces. In real analysis, a function f is continuous if every sequence [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex] implies that [itex]f(x_n)\rightarrow f(x)[/itex]. So interpreting this for a metric space, a function from one metric space to another is continuous if every sequence such that [itex]f_n\rightarrow f[/itex] implies that [itex]F(f_n)\rightarrow F(f)[/itex].

So, I consider the sequence of functions [itex]f_n(x)=(1-x^2)^n[/itex] whose elements are certainly in C[0,1], and the function [itex]f(x)=0[/itex] which is also in C[0,1]. Now, [itex]d(f,f_n)\rightarrow 0[/itex], so the sequence converges to f. But on the other hand, [itex]F(f_n)=f_n(0)=1\ne F(f)=0[/itex]. Thus the function F is not continuous.

Does this proof work? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think that works.

4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?