What Are the Values of a for Which the Given Function is Continuous at x=0?

However, this does not work for all values of $a$. In summary, the function is continuous at x=0 for all values of a except for a=0 and a=1.
Yankel
Hello

I need some help with this question please:

For which values of a the next function is continuous at x=0 ?

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix} x^{a}\cdot sin\frac{1}{x} & x\neq 0\\ 0 & x=0 \end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

I know that for it to be continuous at x=0, I need f(0)=lim x-->0

So I tried calculating the limit, and got to:

[tex]\lim_{x\to0}x^{a-1}\cdot sin\frac{1}{x}\cdot x[/tex]not sure I am correct, but anyhow do not know how to proceed. What I tried to do was to bring the limit to a known form

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think about the squeeze theorem, and the fact that $-1\le \sin(x)\le 1\;\forall\,x$.

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

2. How is continuity defined in a function?

A function is continuous at a specific point if the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that the graph of the function is smooth and connected at that point.

3. What is the difference between a continuous and a discontinuous function?

A continuous function has a graph that is unbroken, while a discontinuous function has a graph with breaks or gaps. This means that a discontinuous function cannot be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

4. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it meets three criteria: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. What are the practical applications of continuous functions?

Continuous functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and predict real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of financial markets.