Continuity of Multivariable Functions

In summary, the conversation is about the continuity of a function f(x) and its derivatives. The initial question asks if a function f(x) = 1 is continuous, and the answer is yes. However, the following discussion brings up a more complex function f(x) that is not continuous at a certain point, leading to a discussion about the definition of continuity and its implications for f(x) and its derivatives. Ultimately, it is concluded that while f(x) is continuous, its derivative f'(x) is not, leading to the function not being in C^1.
Chewy0087
EDIT: just realized i might've been really stupid;

very simple question which will answer my stupidly long question;

is f(x) = 1 continuous?]

The reason I ask is that my book says;

[tex] f(x,y) \in C^{N}[/tex] in R [tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{\partial ^{n} f}{\partial x^n} , \frac{\partial ^{n} f}{\partial x^{n-1}\partial y}, etc \in C[/tex] in R.

however you can imagine for f (x, y) = x which IS continuous,

f1(x, y) = 1 , would this be considered continuous, and if not, isn't that at ends with the definition above?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it's continuous. lim (x1,y1)->(x,y) f(x1,y1)=1. f(x,y)=1. It's easy using any definition of continuity. Look one up!

Yes, I thought as much, but why then would;

f(x) = x (for x greater than/equal to 0) / 0 (for x less than 0)

Why then for this function would

[tex]
f(x) \notin C^{1}
[/tex]

?

Would it be because there is a jump, a "discontinuity" at 0, where f(x) goes from 1 to 0 instantly?

Chewy0087 said:
Yes, I thought as much, but why then would;

f(x) = x (for x greater than/equal to 0) / 0 (for x less than 0)

Why then for this function would

[tex]
f(x) \notin C^{1}
[/tex]

?

Would it be because there is a jump, a "discontinuity" at 0, where f(x) goes from 1 to 0 instantly?

Sure. f(x) is continuous. f'(x) is not continuous (I'm assuming you meant to say f'(x)). So it's not in C^1.

Hmmm so it's not continuous?

But then sureley it is at ends with the definition posted earlier; namingly

[tex]
f(x,y) \in C^{N}
[/tex] [tex]
\Leftrightarrow \frac{\partial ^{n} f}{\partial x^n} , \frac{\partial ^{n} f}{\partial x^{n-1}\partial y}, etc \in C
[/tex]

because df/dx is not continuous, so it is implied that f(x) is not continuous, or is there a flaw in my reasoning? :confused:

edit: and yeah sorry i meant f'(x)

sorry I just realized I'm being a major douche...i'm stupid, nevermind

What is the definition of continuity?

The definition of continuity is the property of a function where the limit of the function at a given point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, the function has no breaks or gaps in its graph.

How do you determine if a function is continuous at a specific point?

To determine if a function is continuous at a specific point, you need to check three criteria: 1) the function must be defined at that point, 2) the limit of the function at that point must exist, and 3) the limit must be equal to the value of the function at that point.

Is f(x) = 1 continuous at all real numbers?

Yes, f(x) = 1 is continuous at all real numbers because the function is defined at all real numbers and the limit of the function at any point is equal to 1.

Can a function be continuous at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points but not others. This is known as a point of discontinuity. A function can have different types of discontinuities such as removable, jump, or infinite discontinuities.

What is the importance of continuity in mathematics and science?

Continuity is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of functions. It also helps us to understand and model real-world phenomena, as many natural processes are continuous. In addition, continuity is a fundamental concept in calculus, which is essential for many scientific and engineering applications.