1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous functions have closed graphs

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How is the theorem "Continuous functions have closed graphs" proven in the setting of a general topological space? (assuming the theorem is still valid?)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually I found a 6 months old thread in which the OP asks help to prove that a continuous map from a topological space X to a Hausdorff space Y has a closed graph

(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=171861&highlight=closed+graph)

I haven't been able to prove this version either though. I suppose it deals with sequences and the Hausdorff property is there to ensure the uniqueness of a limit, but I'm not familiar enough with sequence theory in general topological spaces to construct an argument.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  4. Feb 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am interested in the converse to the closed graph theorem.

The closed graph theorem says "E and F Banach, and T linear with a closed graph. Then T is continuous."

Very restrictive. Under which conditions is the converse true? I have shown that for a map T btw metric spaces, "T continuous ==> T has a closed graph". But I'm sure it holds under weaker hypotheses!

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just scribbled some stuff down, and I think I managed to prove that if Y isn't Hausdorff, then there exists a topological space X and a continuous map f:X->Y whose graph isn't closed. So, provided what I did was alright (and I think it is - it wasn't a very intricate argument, but based on nets), this means that saying "the graph of any continuous function from X to Y is closed" is equivalent to saying "Y is Hausdorff".

I don't think this is very surprising. There are a few other results of a similar flavor, e.g. a space is Hausdorff iff its diagonal is closed, a Hausdorff space is metrizable iff its diagonal is a zero set, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?