Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Continuous functions have closed graphs

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How is the theorem "Continuous functions have closed graphs" proven in the setting of a general topological space? (assuming the theorem is still valid?)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually I found a 6 months old thread in which the OP asks help to prove that a continuous map from a topological space X to a Hausdorff space Y has a closed graph

(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=171861&highlight=closed+graph)

I haven't been able to prove this version either though. I suppose it deals with sequences and the Hausdorff property is there to ensure the uniqueness of a limit, but I'm not familiar enough with sequence theory in general topological spaces to construct an argument.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  4. Feb 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am interested in the converse to the closed graph theorem.

The closed graph theorem says "E and F Banach, and T linear with a closed graph. Then T is continuous."

Very restrictive. Under which conditions is the converse true? I have shown that for a map T btw metric spaces, "T continuous ==> T has a closed graph". But I'm sure it holds under weaker hypotheses!

6. Feb 10, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just scribbled some stuff down, and I think I managed to prove that if Y isn't Hausdorff, then there exists a topological space X and a continuous map f:X->Y whose graph isn't closed. So, provided what I did was alright (and I think it is - it wasn't a very intricate argument, but based on nets), this means that saying "the graph of any continuous function from X to Y is closed" is equivalent to saying "Y is Hausdorff".

I don't think this is very surprising. There are a few other results of a similar flavor, e.g. a space is Hausdorff iff its diagonal is closed, a Hausdorff space is metrizable iff its diagonal is a zero set, etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook