1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous Functions in Real Analysis

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f, g be continuous from R to R (the reals), and suppose that f(r) = g(r) for all rational numbers r. Is it true that f(x) = g(x) for all x [tex]\in[/tex] R?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically, this seems trivial, but is probably tricky after all. I know that for f(x) to equal g(x) would mean that f(q) = g(q) where q is irrational as well as f(r) = g(r) as stated. I cannot think of example functions that are uniformly continuous on the Real line where this would fail, but yet, I also cannot think of a way to empirically prove that this is always true. Any help or a good starting point beyond this would be greatly appreciated. Note - this question follows the section of my text on "Combinations of Continuous Functions" but since this doesn't actually seem to combine f and g, beyond possibly the fact that f(x) = g(x) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] f(x) - g(x) = a continuous function h(x) as f, g continuous, I don't know of any other useful info in the text through this section.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not that tricky. Use that if x is irrational then there is a sequence of rationals r_n such that limit r_n=x as n->infinity. Have you proved that?

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3
    I could see how it might be useful, but no we haven't proved it yet, so I don't know if I could validly use it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Mar 31, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's easy enough to prove. For any integer n consider all of the rationals k/n where k is any integer. Pick r_n to be a rational k/n which is closest to x. How big can |x-r_n| be? The name for this sort of property is saying that the rationals are dense in the reals.

6. Mar 31, 2010 #5
    I'm a little confused. What d'ya mean?

7. Mar 31, 2010 #6
    Let me make sure I'm following you: Choosing a sequence r_n of rational numbers k/n close to an irrational number x [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\left|x-r_n \right|[/tex]< [tex]\epsilon[/tex] (epsilon) maybe? And then... lim [tex]\ r_n[/tex] = x. So we have that because lim of both f(r) and g(r) equal to an irrational number x (or q in my original post), implying that f(q)=g(q)?

8. Mar 31, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little confusing. The point is that if you can find rationals r_n->q (the irrational), then limit f(r_n)=f(q) and limit g(r_n)=g(q), since f and g are continuous. What's r in your post?

9. Mar 31, 2010 #8
    r was a rational number (as per the original question statement). I think I do understand this now though - sorry for the confusing post (I'm new to using this forum and the math language). Thanks for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook