1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous functions on dense subsets

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    Hi, can someone give me pointers on this question
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove or provide a counterexample: If f : E -> Y is continuous on a
    dense subset E of a metric space X, then there is a continuous function
    g: X -> Y such that g(z) = f(z) for all z element of E.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if the statement is true or not. I have tried to find counter-examples using continuous functions on the rationals or irrationals. For example f: Q -> R , f(x) = x. This is continuous for every x in Q. However it is easy to find a mapping g: R -> R which is continuous and g(z) = f(z) for all z element of Q. ie given by g(x) = x. I am yet to find a counter-example (in R anyway). However if the statement holds I'm not to sure how I would begin to prove it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is a reason you can't find a counter-example!

Let a be a point in X that is not in E. Since E is dense in X, there exist a sequence of points, [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] in E that converges to a. Show that, since f is continuous in E, the sequence [itex]\{f(x_n}\}[/itex] converges and define that limit to be f(a).

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There is a counterexample.

Take E=]0,1] and X=[0,1].

Can you find a function on E whose limit to 0 does not exist?

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4
    Thanks guys, makes a lot more sense now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook