Continuous line charge distribution

In summary: The correct formula for electric field due to a line charge is E = (k*linecharge)/r. Plugging in the values given in the conversation, we get E = (9*10^9)(5*10^-6)/0.57 = 7.89*10^4 N/C.
GravityGirl
A rod of length 80 cm has a uniform linear charge density of 5 mC/m. Determine the Electric Field at a point P located at a perpendicular distance 57 cm along a line of symmetry of the rod

i don't know what i wrong..but here is what i am doing

linecharge(change in lenght)= change in Q

E=Kdq/r^2
E=k*linecharge(dL)/r^2

i drew a free body diagram and the x components cancle out so i only have to worry about y

Ey=k*linecharge(dL)(costhea)/r^2 *costheta=height in y direction/r
Ey=k*linecharge(dL)(h/r)/r^2

so now i am going to integrate only half of the rod becuase of symetry

so i have the integral from 0 to L/2 of k*linecharge(dL)(h/r)/r^2

i simplify and i have Ey=k*linecharge(h) integral from 0 to L/2 of 1/r^3

i simplify again to get =k*linecharge(L/2)/h(h^2+(L/2)^2)^1/2

i believe this is the correct formula...but when i put the numbers in i get the wrong answer

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I obtain an answer that is double of yours.
Please check your integration carefully.

Best regards

variation said:
Hello,

I obtain an answer that is double of yours.
Please check your integration carefully.

Best regards

I get something completely different.

1. What is a continuous line charge distribution?

A continuous line charge distribution is a theoretical concept used in physics and engineering to model a line of charged particles that are evenly distributed along a given line. This model is often used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields and electric potential in a given system.

2. How is a continuous line charge distribution different from a discrete line charge distribution?

A continuous line charge distribution assumes that the charge is spread out evenly along the entire length of the line, while a discrete line charge distribution assumes that the charge is concentrated at specific points along the line. This means that the calculations and behavior of electric fields and electric potential will be different for these two types of distributions.

3. What is the mathematical equation for a continuous line charge distribution?

The mathematical equation for a continuous line charge distribution is given by the integral: E = (1/4πε0) * ∫ab λ(x)/r * dl, where E is the electric field, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, λ(x) is the linear charge density at a point x along the line, r is the distance from the point x to the observation point, and dl is an element of length along the line charge.

4. What are the units for a continuous line charge density?

The units for a continuous line charge density are coulombs per meter (C/m). This represents the amount of charge per unit length along the line.

5. How is a continuous line charge distribution used in practical applications?

A continuous line charge distribution is often used in practical applications such as designing electrical transmission lines, analyzing the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, and modeling the electric fields around conductive wires or cables. It can also be used to understand the behavior of electric fields in biological systems, such as the electric fields generated by nerves and muscles.