Continuous-Time Markov Chain populations

In summary, the conversation discusses using a CTMC three-state model to obtain time-dependent populations of each state. A rate matrix, K, has been built for the diffusion process and the time-dependent population of state G is given as the product of the sum of the elements of the matrix exponential of the transition matrix multiplied by time and the initial population of state S. The speaker's question is how to compute the matrix exponential in practice, given the transition matrix. They also discuss the properties of the rate matrix, including ensuring each column adds to zero for probability conservation and the consequence of a zero eigenvalue. They also discuss the order of eigenvalues and determining the true order in a 3x3 system of equations. The speaker also mentions different
jinx
Hello,

I'm working on a CTMC three-state model to obtain time-dependent populations of each state.

[itex]S <=> E <=> G[/itex]
I have built a rate matrix for this (diffusion) process.

[itex]
K =
\begin{pmatrix}
K_{SS} & K_{SE} & K_{SG}\\
K_{ES} & K_{EE} & K_{EG}\\
K_{GS} & K_{GE} & K_{GG}
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
-3.13E+06 & 4.29E+07 & 0\\
3.13E+06 &-4.29E+07 & 3.33E+09\\
0 & 2.26E+06 & -3.33E+09
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

The time-dependent population of state G (final state), is given as the product of (I) sum of the (elements??) of the matrix exponential of the transition matrix multiplied by time, and (II) the initial population of state S, P_S(0)=1.

[itex]
P_G(t) = \left( \sum_{S}(exp(tK))\right)*P_S(0)=\left(\sum_{S}(\frac{t^n*K^n}{n!} )\right)*P_S(0)
[/itex]

My question: I have many difficulties understanding how I could solve this matrix exponential to obtain the population of state G in practice, given the above transition matrix.In this handout, they estimate the population but for the initial state (here, denoted S) instead of final (G, what I seek). They do so by obtaining by an eigenvalue decomposition of the rate matrix, to obtain a final expression for P(t) in terms of t.
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~laws/AppliedProb/handout5.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-12_21-12-17.png
    upload_2015-1-12_21-12-17.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 481
  • upload_2015-1-12_21-13-30.png
    upload_2015-1-12_21-13-30.png
    726 bytes · Views: 485
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is how to compute the matrix exponential [itex]\exp(tK) [/itex]. If this is a numerical computation, what programming language will you use?

Let me rephrase my question with more detail:

I'm working on a CTMC three-state model to obtain time-dependent populations of each state.
[tex]S <=> E <=> G[/tex]
I have built a rate matrix for this (diffusion) process.

[tex]
K =
\begin{pmatrix}
K_{SS} & K_{SE} & K_{SG}\\
K_{ES} & K_{EE} & K_{EG}\\
K_{GS} & K_{GE} & K_{GG}
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
-3.13E+06 & 4.29E+07 & 0\\
3.13E+06 &-4.29E+07 & 1.90E+10\\
0 & 1.83E+06 & -1.90E+09
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

The time-dependent probability population of state G (final state), is given as the product of (I) sum of the (elements??) of the matrix exponential of the transition matrix multiplied by time, and (II) the initial population of state S, P_S(0)=1.

[tex]
P_G(t) = \left( \sum_{S}(exp(tK))\right)*P_S(0)=\left(\sum_{S}(\frac{t^n*K^n}{n!} )\right)*P_S(0)
[/tex]

My question: I'm trying to work out the probability (population) of state G (state C). Initially only state S is population (P_S(0) = 1, P_E(0)=0 and P_G(0)=0 )

(1) In order to obey Markov probability conservation, I have ensured that matrix K obeys the property that
each column adds to zero. Is this correct?(2) One consequence of obeying probability conservation is that upon diagonalisation, one eigenvalue
will be zero. What is the consequence of a zero eigenvalue for the physics of the problem?[tex]
K =
\begin{pmatrix}
\lambda_{1} & 0 & 0\\
0 & \lambda_{2} & 0\\
0 & 0 & \lambda_{3}
\end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & -46247656 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -19022904594
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

When I solve for the eigenvalues in R, it lists the eigenvalues according to INCREMENTAL size, so -19022904594, -46247656, 0
however from linear algebra exercises the value is 0, -46247656, -19022904594 so how to determine the right order of eigenvalues?

A textbook example is[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
-2 & 1 & 1\\
1 &-1 & 0\\
2 & 1 & -3
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

This gives eigenvalues 0, -2, -4 [true order] but R program ranks them as -4, -2, 0.
Is there a way to determine the true order of eigenvalues?

(3) When I input this, I build a probability equation using three arbitrary diagonalisation
constants
[tex] \alpha, \beta, \gamma
[/tex]

[tex] P_(G) = \alpha*(exp(- \lambda_{1} *t))+\beta*(exp(- \lambda_{2} *t))+\gamma*(exp(- \lambda_{3} *t)) [/tex]

The three constants are solved using a 3x3 system of equations depending on the populations
of state G ( as per matrix exponential algebra of Markov chain models using the forward and
backward equations)
[tex]
\alpha+\beta+\gamma=1
[/tex]
[tex]
\alpha*\lambda_{1} + \beta*\lambda_{2} + \gamma*\lambda_{3} = k_GG
[/tex]
[tex]
\alpha*( \lambda_{1})^2 + \beta*(\lambda_{2})^2 + \gamma*(\lambda_{3})^2 = k_EG*k_GG + k_GG^2
[/tex]

Now, depending on whether we choose the constraint
[tex]
\alpha + \beta + \gamma =1
[/tex]

[tex]
\alpha + \beta + \gamma =0
[/tex]

I get very different behaviour. Do we solve this relative to a state with initial population 1 or 0?I attach a link for this

http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~laws/AppliedProb/handout5.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Continuous-Time Markov Chain population?

A Continuous-Time Markov Chain population is a mathematical model used to study the evolution of a population over time. It is based on the concept of a Markov chain, where the future state of a system depends only on its current state and not on its past history. This model is commonly used in fields such as biology, economics, and sociology to analyze the dynamics of populations.

2. How is a Continuous-Time Markov Chain population different from a discrete-time population?

A Continuous-Time Markov Chain population differs from a discrete-time population in that it is a continuous-time model, meaning that the time between state changes is not restricted to specific intervals. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world populations that do not experience discrete changes at fixed intervals. In contrast, a discrete-time population model assumes that state changes occur at fixed time intervals.

3. What are the key assumptions in a Continuous-Time Markov Chain population model?

The key assumptions in a Continuous-Time Markov Chain population model include: 1) the population is finite, 2) the population is closed (no births, deaths, or migration), 3) the transitions between states are probabilistic, 4) the probabilities of state transitions are constant over time, and 5) the population is homogeneous, meaning that all individuals are subject to the same transition probabilities.

4. How is the transition rate matrix used in a Continuous-Time Markov Chain population model?

The transition rate matrix, also known as the infinitesimal generator matrix, is a key component of a Continuous-Time Markov Chain population model. It specifies the transition rates between different states of the population. These rates are used to calculate the probabilities of the population being in a particular state at any given time, and to predict the future state of the population.

5. What are the limitations of a Continuous-Time Markov Chain population model?

While Continuous-Time Markov Chain population models have many applications, they also have some limitations. One major limitation is that they assume a closed population, which is not always the case in real-world populations. Additionally, these models may not accurately represent populations with complex dynamics or those that experience abrupt changes. Finally, the accuracy of these models depends on the quality of the data used to estimate the transition rates.