1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuum Mechanics: Eij and eif given coordinates and displacements

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/selection027.png"
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/selection027.png

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]E_{ij}=\frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\partial{u_i}}{\partial{X_j}} \frac{\partial{u_j}}{\partial{X_i}} - \delta_{ij}\right) [/itex]
    [itex]\epsilon_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial{u_i}}{\partial{X_j}}+\frac{\partial{u_j}}{\partial{X_i}}\right)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not exactly sure where to begin. I understand how to find [itex]E_{ij}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{ij}[/itex] given the displacement field, but I am not sure how to construct the field. So far, I came up with:

[itex]u=0.001x_1+0.003x_2+0.002x_3[/itex]
    [itex]v=0.002x_2+0.001x_3-0.001x_4[/itex]

But I'm not sure that's right at all, or if I'm supposed to be looking at each individual point, e.g.:

[itex]u_1=0.001x_1[/itex]
    [itex]v_1=0[/itex]

[itex]u_2=0.003x_2[/itex]
    [itex]v_2=0.002y_2[/itex]

[itex]u_3=0.002x_3[/itex]
    [itex]v_3=0.001y_3[/itex]

[itex]u_4=0[/itex]
    [itex]v_4=-0.001y_4[/itex]

Am I even remotely close with either idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
    Not really, sorry..

Your problem appears to be 2D.
    Furthermore, the two strain tensors that you want to find are Lagrangian and so, by definition, depend on capital [itex]X[/itex], rather than x...

Unless I misread the problem, you ought to take [itex]X_1=``x''[/itex] and [itex]X_2=``y''[/itex] (that's it.. because it's 2D).

[itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] should depend on [itex]X_1[/itex] and [itex]X_2[/itex].

You have to figure out the relationship..

I'd also double check your formula:
    Should read:
    [itex]E_{ij}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial X_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial X_i}+\frac{\partial u_k }{\partial X_i}\frac{\partial u_k}{\partial X_j})[/itex]

Hope that helps..

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook