1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Continuum Mechanics or Design/Manufacturing?

1. Oct 7, 2016 #1
    Hi, people of PF
    I'm trying to decide between concentrating on continuum mechanics or design/manufacturing for my master's degree. My goal is to ultimately work in the industry, so design/manufacturing seems to make a lot of sense. However at the same time, continuum mechanics (and physics in general) is really interesting, but doesn't seem as fit for jobs as the other option. I'm torn between these two, and would love some input!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2
    I've never taken any engineering courses, but it sounds like design/manufacturing would have more job security. While physics is fun, you have your entire life to learn it.

4. Oct 10, 2016 #3
    Summarizing many words into a couple of concise statements:

Industry has problems to solve which are tied to schedules and revenue. Industry needs to hire trained problem solvers who can attack a problem effectively and produce an acceptable solution. The solution must fit within schedule and budget constraints because neither of those is infinite. Engineers are trained to be problem solvers. Engineers get the experience over time to discern what is an "acceptable solution" incorporating technical compromises that fits within over-committed schedules and insufficient budgets.

Science by its nature is something else I think.

5. Oct 12, 2016 #4
    Yep I've decided on Design. I reached the same conclusion :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted