Continuum Mechanics or Design/Manufacturing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between focusing on continuum mechanics or design/manufacturing for a master's degree and the potential job prospects in the industry. The individual is torn between the two options and is seeking input, but ultimately decides on design due to its potential for job security and the fact that they have their entire life to learn about physics.
Sho Kano
Hi, people of PF
I'm trying to decide between concentrating on continuum mechanics or design/manufacturing for my master's degree. My goal is to ultimately work in the industry, so design/manufacturing seems to make a lot of sense. However at the same time, continuum mechanics (and physics in general) is really interesting, but doesn't seem as fit for jobs as the other option. I'm torn between these two, and would love some input!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never taken any engineering courses, but it sounds like design/manufacturing would have more job security. While physics is fun, you have your entire life to learn it.

Summarizing many words into a couple of concise statements:

Industry has problems to solve which are tied to schedules and revenue. Industry needs to hire trained problem solvers who can attack a problem effectively and produce an acceptable solution. The solution must fit within schedule and budget constraints because neither of those is infinite. Engineers are trained to be problem solvers. Engineers get the experience over time to discern what is an "acceptable solution" incorporating technical compromises that fits within over-committed schedules and insufficient budgets.

Science by its nature is something else I think.

Likes Sho Kano and Ben Espen
pat8126 said:
I've never taken any engineering courses, but it sounds like design/manufacturing would have more job security. While physics is fun, you have your entire life to learn it.
Yep I've decided on Design. I reached the same conclusion :)

1. What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the mechanical behavior of materials and fluids under the assumption that they are continuous and homogeneous. It uses mathematical models to describe the relationships between deformation, stress, and motion.

2. What is the difference between continuum mechanics and solid mechanics?

Continuum mechanics deals with the behavior of materials at a macroscopic level, while solid mechanics focuses on the behavior of solids. Solid mechanics is a subset of continuum mechanics, which also includes fluid mechanics and gas dynamics.

3. How is continuum mechanics used in design and manufacturing?

Continuum mechanics is used to predict the behavior of materials and fluids in different manufacturing processes, such as molding, casting, and machining. It helps engineers optimize designs and select appropriate materials to ensure the structural integrity and functionality of the final product.

4. What are some common applications of continuum mechanics in industry?

Some common applications of continuum mechanics in industry include structural analysis, fluid flow analysis, heat transfer analysis, and material optimization. It is used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering.

5. What are some challenges in applying continuum mechanics to design and manufacturing?

One of the main challenges is accurately predicting the behavior of complex materials and structures, such as composites or non-Newtonian fluids. Another challenge is dealing with large-scale simulations, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, there may be discrepancies between the mathematical models and the actual behavior of materials, requiring constant refinement and validation of the models.