Continuum mechanics, physical interpretation of terms in balance eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation and interpretation of the balance of energy equation in section 21 of Gurtin's book "The Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Continua." The equation is written in both local and global forms, and the book asks for a physical interpretation of the term ##\vec q+\rho \varepsilon \vec v##, which represents the inflow of internal energy due to convection. The conversation also clarifies that the interpretation is correct, assuming a fixed macroscopic control volume and using the relative velocity at the boundary if it is moving.
Telemachus
Hi there. I'm reading Gurtin's 'the mechanics and thermodynamics of continua', and working some exercises of his book. In the section 21: 'The first law: balance of energy', after the derivation of the balance equation, he uses an identity to rewrite the balance of energy.

The balance of energy can be written:

##\rho \dot \varepsilon=T:D -div(\vec q)+q##

The dot over the epsilon represents the material time derivative, epsilon is the internal energy, rho the mass density, T is the Cauchy stress tensor, D the stretching tensor, and ##\vec q## is the heat flux vector, while the scalar ##q## represents the heat transferred to the region by agencies external to the deforming body (e.g. radiation).

Then, due to a relation previously derived in the book, the given material time derivative is related to the spatial time derivative through:

##\rho \dot \varepsilon=(\rho \varepsilon)'+div (\rho \varepsilon \vec v)##

Then, the balance of energy in the local form can be written:

##(\rho \varepsilon)'=T:D-div(\vec q+\rho \varepsilon \vec v)+q##

The book then asks to provide a physical interpretation for the quantity: ##\vec q+\rho \varepsilon \vec v##.

What I did was to rewrite the localized form in the global form for the divergence:

##\displaystyle -\int_{\cal P(t)} div(\vec q+\rho \varepsilon \vec v) dv=-\int_{\partial \cal P(t)}\vec q \cdot \hat n da-\int_{\partial \cal P(t)} \rho \varepsilon \vec v \cdot \hat n da##

(The differential is over volume, but the field ##\vec v## represents the velocity field)

So, the q term clearly represents the heat influx through the boundary ##\partial \cal P(t)##, and the term containing ##\rho \varepsilon \vec v## I think that represents the inflow of internal energy in ## \cal P(t)## due to convection. Is this right? I'm in doubt because it is not a control volume which we are working with, but the convecting region. So it is not so clear to me that this flux of internal energy due to convection is actually possible, and I was in hope to clarify this through this discussion.

Bye there and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
Hi there. I'm reading Gurtin's 'the mechanics and thermodynamics of continua', and working some exercises of his book. In the section 21: 'The first law: balance of energy', after the derivation of the balance equation, he uses an identity to rewrite the balance of energy.

The balance of energy can be written:

##\rho \dot \varepsilon=T:D -div(\vec q)+q##

The dot over the epsilon represents the material time derivative, epsilon is the internal energy, rho the mass density, T is the Cauchy stress tensor, D the stretching tensor, and ##\vec q## is the heat flux vector, while the scalar ##q## represents the heat transferred to the region by agencies external to the deforming body (e.g. radiation).

Then, due to a relation previously derived in the book, the given material time derivative is related to the spatial time derivative through:

##\rho \dot \varepsilon=(\rho \varepsilon)'+div (\rho \varepsilon \vec v)##

Then, the balance of energy in the local form can be written:

##(\rho \varepsilon)'=T:D-div(\vec q+\rho \varepsilon \vec v)+q##

The book then asks to provide a physical interpretation for the quantity: ##\vec q+\rho \varepsilon \vec v##.

What I did was to rewrite the localized form in the global form for the divergence:

##\displaystyle -\int_{\cal P(t)} div(\vec q+\rho \varepsilon \vec v) dv=-\int_{\partial \cal P(t)}\vec q \cdot \hat n da-\int_{\partial \cal P(t)} \rho \varepsilon \vec v \cdot \hat n da##

(The differential is over volume, but the field ##\vec v## represents the velocity field)

So, the q term clearly represents the heat influx through the boundary ##\partial \cal P(t)##, and the term containing ##\rho \varepsilon \vec v## I think that represents the inflow of internal energy in ## \cal P(t)## due to convection. Is this right? I'm in doubt because it is not a control volume which we are working with, but the convecting region. So it is not so clear to me that this flux of internal energy due to convection is actually possible, and I was in hope to clarify this through this discussion.

Bye there and thanks in advance.
Yes. Your interpretation is correct, and you did it correctly (assuming you have a fixed macroscopic control volume and v represents to flow velocity relative to the frame of reference of that fixed macroscopic control volume). On the other hand, if the system boundary is moving, then the flow velocity relative to the boundary will not be v, and you must use the relative velocity at the boundary to get the net convection of internal energy across the boundary.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Hi Chet. Thanks for your answer. I worked it as if the boundary is moving (##\cal P(t)## represents the deformed region convecting with the body, I should've been more clear about it). The identities I've used are for deformed bodies, I don't know if it hold for a control volume, I should check it. My doubt is if even for the deformed region convecting with the body there is an inflow of internal energy due to convection itself, because in the deformed body the boundary is always the boundary, so it wasn't clear to me, but the relation seems to suggest than that's the way it is (so maybe I could find a better interpretation than what I'm giving to the physical situation).

I have that, for the deformation ##\chi##:

##x=\chi(\rm X,t)##, where x is the spatial point, and X the material point.

Then, the deformed region at time t is defined as: ##\cal{P_t}=\chi_t( \rm P )##, where P is the material region (the subscript indicates a fixed time t). Same notation is used for the boundary ##\partial \cal P_t##.

This is the book I'm using (page 185): http://books.google.com.ar/books?id... of continua&pg=PA185#v=onepage&q=185&f=false

Great book btw.

Last edited:
Telemachus said:
Hi Chet. Thanks for your answer. I worked it as if the boundary is moving (##\cal P(t)## represents the deformed region convecting with the body, I should've been more clear about it). The identities I've used are for deformed bodies, I don't know if it hold for a control volume, I should check it. My doubt is if even for the deformed region convecting with the body there is an inflow of internal energy due to convection itself, because in the deformed body the boundary is always the boundary, so it wasn't clear to me, but the relation seems to suggest than that's the way it is (so maybe I could find a better interpretation than what I'm giving to the physical situation).

I have that, for the deformation ##\chi##:

##x=\chi(X,t)##, where x is the spatial point, and X the material point.

Then, the deformed region at time t is defined as: ##\cal P_t=\chi_t(P)##, where P is the material region (the subscript indicates a fixed time t). Same notation is used for the boundary ##\partial \cal P_t##.

This is the book I'm using (page 185): http://books.google.com.ar/books?id... of continua&pg=PA185#v=onepage&q=185&f=false

Great book btw.
No. If the boundary is a material surface (moving with the fluid velocity), then there is no convection of internal energy across the material surface into the volume. To show this, you need to integrate the entire equation over the volume and properly apply the 3D version of the Leibnitz rule, which is called Reynolds Theorem. The convection will cancel out from the final result (the term involving the partial derivative of internal energy with respect to time is involved).

However, if you do your integration over a small control volume fixed in space, then the term you were referring to will be equal to the rate of convection of internal energy across its surface. In short, the control volume must be fixed in space.

Chet

What I've got from the Reynolds transport theorem, and using the relation for the conservation of mass is:

##\displaystyle \frac{D}{Dt} \int_{\cal P_t} \rho \varepsilon dv= \int_{\cal P_t} \rho \dot \varepsilon dv##

##\frac{D}{Dt}## denotes the material time derivative.

If then I use ##\rho \dot \varepsilon=(\rho \varepsilon)'+div(\rho \varepsilon \vec v)##

I have:

##\displaystyle \int_{\cal P_t} \rho \dot \varepsilon dv= \int_{\cal P_t} T:Ddv- \int_{\cal P_t} div \vec q dv+ \int_{\cal P_t} qdv=\int_{\cal P_t} [(\rho \varepsilon)'+div(\rho \varepsilon \vec v)]dv##

Last edited:
Thank you very much Chet. I'll let you see the steps I did in more detail. I think you are right, because intuitively I know that what you said must hold, but its late, and perhaps I'm making some silly mistake.

First, in my notation, Reynolds Transport Theorem states:

##\displaystyle \frac{D}{Dt} \int_{\cal P_t} \phi dv= \int_{\cal P_t} (\dot \phi + \phi div \vec v) dv##

From the conservation of mass ## \dot \rho \varepsilon=-\rho \varepsilon div \vec v##

Perhaps I'm not starting with the right foot. Then what I did was:

##\displaystyle \frac{D}{Dt} \int_{\cal P_t} \rho \varepsilon dv= \int_{\cal P_t} (\dot {(\rho \varepsilon)}+\rho\varepsilon div \vec v) dv=\int_{\cal P_t} \rho \dot \varepsilon dv##

And then I've used that ##\rho \dot \varepsilon=(\rho \varepsilon)'+div(\rho \varepsilon \vec v)## and equated to the other part of the energy balance:

##\displaystyle \int_{\cal P_t} [(\rho \varepsilon)'+div(\rho \varepsilon \vec v)]dv=\int_{\cal P_t} T:Ddv- \int_{\cal P_t} div \vec q dv+ \int_{\cal P_t} qdv##

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I think the procedure is quite right. I know the term you say has to appear, but I'm not seeing from where I should get it.

Now I was thinking, perhaps I can get a term like that by developing the spatial time derivative ##(\rho \varepsilon)'##, I'll try that later.

Yes, I think that was it :D thank you very much Chet.

I have this identity: ##(\rho \phi)'=\rho\phi'+\rho\vec v \cdot grad \phi-div(\rho \phi \vec v)##

So, in my case I would have: ##(\rho \varepsilon)'=\rho\varepsilon'+\rho\vec v \cdot grad \varepsilon-div (\rho \varepsilon \vec v)##

Now, do you have any physical interpretation for the term ##\rho \vec v \cdot grad \varepsilon##?

This equation:

##\displaystyle \int_{\cal P_t} [(\rho \varepsilon)'+div(\rho \varepsilon \vec v)]dv=\int_{\cal P_t} T:Ddv- \int_{\cal P_t} div \vec q dv+ \int_{\cal P_t} qdv##

when combined with this equation:

##\displaystyle \frac{D}{Dt} \int_{\cal P_t} ρε dv= \int_{\cal P_t} ((ρε)'+ div(ρε\vec v)) dv##

just gives:

##\displaystyle \frac{D}{Dt} \int_{\cal P_t} ρε dv=\int_{\cal P_t} T:Ddv- \int_{\cal P_t} div \vec q dv+ \int_{\cal P_t} qdv##

This is exactly what you expect, and doesn't involve any convective internal energy flux across the material boundary surface.

Chet

Yes, you are right. Thank you.

1. What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that studies the behavior of materials that are continuously distributed, such as fluids and solids. It involves the application of laws of physics and mathematics to understand the deformation and motion of these materials.

2. What is the physical interpretation of terms in balance equations in continuum mechanics?

The physical interpretation of terms in balance equations in continuum mechanics refers to the understanding of the physical quantities and their relationships that are involved in describing the behavior of materials. These terms include stress, strain, momentum, and energy, among others.

3. How do balance equations relate to the conservation laws of physics?

Balance equations in continuum mechanics are derived from the fundamental principles of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. These equations describe the rate of change of these quantities in a given material and are essential for understanding the behavior of materials under different conditions.

4. What are the applications of continuum mechanics in real-world systems?

Continuum mechanics has a wide range of applications in various engineering fields, such as aerospace, civil, and mechanical engineering. It is used to analyze the behavior of fluids and solids in structures and systems, such as aircraft, bridges, and pipelines, to ensure their safe and efficient operation.

5. How does continuum mechanics differ from other branches of mechanics?

Continuum mechanics differs from other branches of mechanics, such as classical mechanics, in that it deals with materials that are continuously distributed, rather than individual particles. It also considers the effects of deformation and motion on the behavior of these materials, rather than just their position and velocity.