1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integral (from complex analysis)

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let g denote the elliptic arc parametrized by z(t) = 2cost + 3isint, for t between 0 and pi/2 (inclusive).

Evaluate the integral of f(z) = z[sin(pi*z^2) - cos(pi*z^2)] over g.

2. Relevant equations

If g is determined by the function z mapping from [a,b] to C and f maps from g to C, then the integral of f over g is defined as the integral (from a to b) of f of z(t) times z'(t).

(sorry for writing the equations out in words, I don't have any formatting software)

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by finding z'(t) = -2sint + 3icost and attempting to find f(z(t)), but I got a really complicated function and at that point I figured I must be going about it the wrong way.

I tried to find an identity that would allow me to simplifiy f(z) but I couldn't find anything.

At this point I really have no idea how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If f(z) is analytic, what do you know about its integral along a contour between two points?

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    hmm...I don't know. It doesn't say so in the problem. Is that something I should be able to recognize?

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, or at least, it's something they want you to learn. I imagine that's the point of this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook