1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contribution of one fermion to entropy of one-particle state

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,

I'm studying for my final exam on statistical physics, and I found an exercise of which I think it is really easy but I'm unsure of how to do it! So now I wonder if I actually don't understand what I'm doing at all!

The question is as follows:

Calculate for fermionic particles the contribution to the entropy of a one-particle
    state with energy ε when the particles chemical potential is μ , and the temperature
    is T.

2. Relevant equations
    call exp(β(ε - μ) = a

U = TS - PV + μN (1) (contributions to total)
    βPV = log Z (2)
    Z = Ʃsexp(-βEs + βμNs) (3)
    U = ε/(a-1) (4)
    N = 1/(a-1) (5)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rewrite (1) to get S = (U + PV - μN)/T
    use (2), (4) and (5) to get S = (ε-μ)/(T*(a-1)) + (1/VTβ)*log Z
    then rewrite Z as in (3) to ∏s(1/((1-a^1)); <- not sure

so log Z would then be Ʃn -log(1 - a^1) ?
    so then you would have:
    contribution to S = (ε-μ)/(T*(a-1)) + (1/VTβ)*log Ʃn -log(1 - a^1) ?

but now i still have V in the equation! Help! and the sum isn't very pretty as well..
    I honestly don't know how to get rid of those, and I hope someone will help me!

Thank you<,

Suske

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For fermions, I think that the occupation number of a state s should be

ns = 1/(as+1) where as = exp[β([itex]ε[/itex]s-μ)].

Also, I think you didn't quite handle the PV/T term correctly.

PV = kTlogZ = kT[itex]\sum[/itex]s log(1+1/as)

We see that the contribution of one state, s, to PV is kT log(1+1/as).

So, there is no occurrence of V and there is no sum.

I think your handling of U and [itex]\mu[/itex]N is essentially ok, except for the sign change in the denominator of ns and I would put a subscript s on the [itex]ε[/itex] and the a ([itex]ε[/itex]s, as ) to denote the particular 1-particle state. So, the contribution of one state, s, to U-[itex]\mu[/itex]N is ([itex]ε[/itex]s -[itex]\mu[/itex])/(as+1).

A nice way to express the overall result is in terms of the occupation number ns = 1/(as+1).

You should be able to show that the contribution to S of one state s: -k[(1-ns)log(1-ns)+nslog(ns)]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook