Control theory: process given, PID settings

In summary, the problem requires a closed loop control loop for a given process with specific requirements. These include a steady state error of zero, an infinite gain margin, and a phase margin of 40 degrees. After analyzing the bode plot of the process, it is determined that an integrator action and a derivative action are needed, which leads to the selection of a PID-controller. The appropriate settings for this controller can be found by positioning the zeros and poles at the frequencies needed to bend the response magnitude graph as desired. However, it is unclear how to achieve an infinite gain margin.
Engineer_s

Homework Statement

Problem:

We want a closed loop control loop for the given process (see bode plot), the control loop requirements are:
  • Steady state error needs to be zero.
  • The gain margin needs to be infinite.
  • The phase margin needs to be 40 degrees.
Questions:
  1. Which controller will be the best choice: P, PI, PID or PD and why?
  2. What are the controller settings needed to reach the requirements for the controller you have chosen.
The bode plot of the process is given:

sFJcIgc.jpg

Homework Equations

Standard controllers in de Laplace domain.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to find a solution:
  • Steady state error needs to be zero. ==> We need an integrator action
  • The gain margin needs to be infinite. ==> the phase is not allowed to cross the -180°.
  • The phase margin needs to be 40 degrees. ==> phase margin at 0 dB crossing.
Since the phase of the process is below -180° we need an extra null in the open loop equation. Therefore we need an derivative action (D-action). This will result in a phase that never crosses the -180°. Since we both need an I-action and D-action the appropriate controller will be a PID-controller.

How can I find the appropriate settings for my controller?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Attachments

• sFJcIgc.jpg
    sFJcIgc.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 692
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?:frown:

I think he means undefined, since he concludes that the phase must stay above -180. I'm afraid that I don't know enough of the subject to know if that is the common way to say it.

Likes berkeman

1. What is control theory?

Control theory is a branch of mathematics and engineering that deals with the design and analysis of control systems. These systems aim to control the behavior of a dynamic system in order to achieve a desired output.

2. What is a process in control theory?

In control theory, a process refers to the system or plant that is being controlled. It can be any physical, biological, or chemical system that has inputs and outputs and can be described by mathematical equations.

3. What are PID settings?

PID settings refer to the proportional, integral, and derivative parameters that are used in a PID controller. These parameters are adjusted to achieve the desired control of a process by minimizing error and maintaining stability.

4. How are PID settings determined?

PID settings are determined through a process called tuning. This involves analyzing the behavior of the system and adjusting the parameters to achieve the desired response. There are various methods for tuning PID controllers, including trial and error, Ziegler-Nichols method, and model-based tuning.

5. What are the applications of control theory?

Control theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, economics, biology, and robotics. It is used in the design of automated systems, such as robots and self-driving cars, as well as in the control of industrial processes and financial systems.