Controlled Variables in Exp to determine Refractive Index

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on determining the refractive index of Perspex. The method involves using a light ray box, tracing the path of the light ray, and using Snell's law. The question is about the controlled variables in the experiment, with suggestions of temperature and light colour.
Astar

Homework Statement

My question is very basic, yet one which has become increasingly frustrating.
I am doing an investigation into determing the refractive index of Perspex for an assignment. To do this I am using a light ray box to shine a ray onto a rectangular perspex prism, and then using a pencil to trace out the path of the light ray. Then using a protractor to find the angles of incidence and refraction...before putting it into snell's law to give me the refractive index. My question is What would the controlled variables be in this experiment?

Homework Equations

BTW, I'm using the equation:

sin i/sin r = n

to find refractive index (being n in this case)

The Attempt at a Solution

Back to my problem.
The only controlled variable I can come up with is the temperature of the air; as cold and hot air density varies. I cannot think of anymore and I need to clearly state them as part of this assignment. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help. This is a wonderful forum which I'm sure I will be using in the future as I'm doing high school physics through distance education.

Physics news on Phys.org
Temperature is one thing but you can not control it two much. You are not supposed to freeze or boil yourself during an experiment. Nevertheless, you have to note the temperature in your report.

The controlled parameter really counts is the colour of light. If white light is incident on the prism, you will notice that the refracted light is decomposed to colours of rainbow: the angle of refraction is different for different colours, and so is the refractive index. It depends on the frequency (or vacuum wavelength) of light.

ehild

k thanks for that

Related to Controlled Variables in Exp to determine Refractive Index

What are controlled variables in an experiment to determine refractive index?

Controlled variables in an experiment are the factors that are kept constant throughout the experiment. This allows for accurate and reliable results by eliminating the influence of external factors.

Why are controlled variables important in an experiment?

Controlled variables are important because they help to isolate the specific factor being tested in an experiment. By keeping these variables constant, any changes in the results can be attributed to the manipulated variable.

What are some examples of controlled variables in an experiment to determine refractive index?

Examples of controlled variables in an experiment to determine refractive index may include the type of light source, the type of material being tested, the distance between the light source and the material, and the temperature of the material.

How do you identify and control variables in an experiment?

To identify and control variables in an experiment, it is important to first clearly define the purpose of the experiment and the factors being tested. Then, carefully plan the experiment and design it in a way that allows for the manipulation of one variable while keeping all other variables constant. Finally, during the experiment, constantly monitor and record any changes in the controlled variables to ensure they are kept constant throughout the experiment.

What happens if a controlled variable is not properly controlled in an experiment?

If a controlled variable is not properly controlled in an experiment, it can lead to inaccurate or unreliable results. This can make it difficult to draw accurate conclusions and may invalidate the entire experiment. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully control all variables in an experiment to ensure the validity of the results.