1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converge of infinite series

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    Show that Σ[tex]_{n=1}^\infty ln(1 -1/n^2) = -ln 2[/tex]

I'm not sure how to do this. Should I use telescopic sums or should I make a function [tex]y = ln(1 - 1/n^2)[/tex]? Is it possible to use telescopic sums here?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2
    When I make [tex]y = ln(1 - 1/n^2)[/tex]..then the limit of y = 0 which yields no conclusion about the series.

4. Nov 16, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The sum cannot start at n=1 because then the first term blows up. I get the correct answer if n starts at 2. Two hints:

1) Yes it's a telescoping series problem.

2) ln(a+b) is not a friendly expressiom but ln(a*b) is because ln(a*b)=lna + lnb. And notice that [tex]1-\frac{1}{n^2}=\frac{n^2-1}{n^2}=\frac{(n-1)(n+1)}{n^2}[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  5. Nov 16, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Incidentally, this problem proves indirectly that

[tex]\prod_{i=2}^{\infty}\frac{i^2-1}{i^2}=\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)\left(\frac{8}{9}\right)\left(\frac{15}{16}\right)\left(\frac{24}{25}\right)...=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Nice!

6. Nov 16, 2006 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?