1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converge pointwise with full Fourier series

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    I am working on a simple PDE problem on full Fourier series like this:

Given this piecewise function,

##f(x) =
    \begin{cases}
    e^x, &-1 \leq x \leq 0 \\
    mx + b, &0 \leq x \leq 1.\\
    \end{cases}##​

Without computing any Fourier coefficients, find any values of ##m## and ##b##, if there is any, that will make ##f(x)## converge pointwise on ##-1 < x < 1## with its full Fourier series.

I know for sure that if ##f(x)## is to converge pointwise with its full Fourier series, then ##f(x)## has to be piecewise smooth, meaning that each piece of ##f(x)## has to be differentiable.

(a) Is this the right way to go?
    (b) If it is, how do you prove ##e^x## and ##mx + b## differentiable? By proving ##f'(x) = \lim_{x \to c}\frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c}## exists?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

1. f(x) has to be continuous at x = 0.
    2. f'(x) has to be continuous at x = 0.

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3
    I think I am confused with the word "piecewise smooth." I had always thought it means "smooth piece by piece," meaning that ##f(x) = e^x## is smooth individually and then the next ##f(x) = mx +b## is smooth individually also. But your response implies that both parts of ##f(x)## have to be smooth as one big piece. So I am wrong on this? Let me know and thank you!

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you are right. That means there are no conditions on m and b. Notice there is a difference between saying "the series converges pointwise" and "the series converges pointwise to f(x)". If it's the latter you have a condition.

6. Feb 18, 2015 #5
    What do you mean by "there are no conditions on ##m## and ##b##"? Thanks. [Nice to see you again! See, I had to tend one course after another! :-) ]

7. Feb 18, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean that it's piecewise smooth no matter what m and b are. Nice to see you!

8. Feb 18, 2015 #7
    Thanks! I think it means ##m, b## are good for any real numbers. You are always omniscience from A to Z, omnipresent, and omni-helpful, if that is the right word.

9. Feb 18, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your statement " .... ##f(x)## has to be piecewise smooth..." is false: it does not have to be piecewise smooth. It just has to obey the Dirichlet conditions; see, eg.,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirichlet_conditions . These do not involve smoothness or differentiablility.

So, with no restrictions on ##m,b## your function's Fourier series will converge pointwise on ##-1 \leq x \leq 1##, and will converge to ##f(x)## for ##-1 < x < 1, x \neq 0##. For some ##m,b## it will also converge to ##f(0)## when ##x = 0##, but for some other choices of ##m,b## it will converge to something else at ##x = 0## (but still converge).

10. Feb 18, 2015 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@A.Magnus: I would almost bet that the original problem wants you to find m and b such that the FS converges pointwise to f(x). Otherwise there isn't much point to the problem. That would require specific values of m and b.

11. Feb 18, 2015 #10
    I have uploaded the page that has the original problem 9, see the attached file. The text is "Introduction to Applied PDE" by John Davis, let me know if I got it very wrong in the first place, I will happily stand to be corrected. Also do let me know how should I go ahead if I was wrong. Thank you!

PS:The text is extremely cut and dry, on top of that this is an online class, we get only reading assignments and homework, no lectures. Never complaining, so I take this site as crowd-teaching forum! :smile:

Attached Files:

12. Feb 18, 2015 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The pdf displays upside-down on my screen, and I cannot rotate it (and so cannot read it). Anyway, have you read post #8?

13. Feb 18, 2015 #12
    Yes, I did see #8, I am about to response. For the file, I will attached another one, give me just a second. Thanks, Ray!

14. Feb 18, 2015 #13
    Ray, here is the corrected file. Feel free to J.Davis-PDE_Exercise9.png J.Davis-PDE_Exercise9.png crowd-teach me. Thanks.

15. Feb 18, 2015 #14
    Ray, here is what I copy down verbatim from the John Davis' text, page 88:

Let me know what I got wrong. Thanks again and again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted