1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence in topological space

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    Let X be an infinite set and p be a point in X, chosen once and for all. Let T be the collection of open subsets V of X for which either p is not a member of V, or p is a member of V and its complement ~V is finite.

Now, let (a_n) be a sequence in X (that is, for all n in N, a_n in X) such that the set of the sequences, {a_n : n in N}, is infinite. Using the definition of convergence in topological spaces, prove that (a_n) has a subsequence which converges to p.

I thought I could do this by showing that if a sequence (a_n) converges to p, then so does every subsequence. But then realised that (a_n) is ANY sequence, so my proof would not hold. I'm also not sure if a sequence even does converge to p!!

Any ideas how to prove this result?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2
    There are few things that are unclear in your post, but I think what you menat is this:

(1) The set T is the topology of the space (X,p), that is, its elements are the open sets of (X,p).

(2) In a general topological space, sequence convergence is defined by: [itex]a_n \in X[/itex] converges to [itex]a \in X[/itex] iff:

[tex]
    \forall O \in T\exists n_0 \in \mathbb N \left(a \in O \wedge n > n_0 \rightarrow a_n \in O\right)
    [/tex]

This means that, for any (open) neighborhood of [itex]a[/itex], all terms of [itex]a_n[/itex], for [itex]n > n_0[/itex] will belong to this neighborhood.

(3) Now, you want to prove that, for any sequence, such that its set of terms [itex][tex]\left\{a_n:n \in \mathbb N\right\}[/tex] is infinite will have a convergent subsequence to p. For this topology, note that any neighborhood [itex]O_p[/itex] of p will be a set such that its complement is finite; this implies that there exists an [itex]n_0[/itex], such that, for all [itex]n> n_0[/itex], [itex]a_n \in O_p[/itex]. From this, you may extract a subsequence [itex]a_{n_k}[/itex], convergent, in the above sense, to p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook