1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a sequence in a metric space

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For [itex]x,y \in\mathbb{R}[/itex] define a metric on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] by [tex]d_2(x,y) = |\tan^{-1}(x) - \tan^{-1}(y) |[/tex] where [itex]\tan^{-1}[/itex] is the principal branch of the inverse tangent, i.e. [itex]\tan^{-1} : \mathbb{R} \to (-\pi/2 ,\pi/2)[/itex].

If [itex](x_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[/itex] is a sequence in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex], show that [itex]x_n \to x[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] in [itex](\mathbb{R} ,d_1)[/itex] where [itex]d_1[/itex] is the standard metric [itex]d_1(x,y)=|x-y|[/itex] if and only if [itex]x_n \to x[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] in [itex](\mathbb{R} ,d_2)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]x_n\to x[/itex] in [itex](\mathbb{R},d_2) \iff d_2(x_n,x)\to 0[/itex]

[itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\, \iff |\tan^{-1}(x_n) - \tan^{-1}(x) | \to 0[/itex]

[itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\, \iff \tan^{-1}(x_n) \to \tan^{-1}(x)[/itex]

[itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\, \iff x_n \to x[/itex] pointwise (since [itex]\tan^{-1} : \mathbb{R} \to (-\pi/2 ,\pi/2)[/itex] is continuous)

[itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\, \iff |x_n - x| \to 0[/itex]

[itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\, \iff d_1(x_n,x) \to 0[/itex]

[itex]\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\, \iff x_n\to x[/itex] in [itex](\mathbb{R},d_1)[/itex]

I'm not sure whether the pointwise bit in the middle is correct (as that seems to imply pointwise convergence and convergence in a metric is the same, when it isn't) and that is the crucial step!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2
    I'm not sure if this addresses the pointwise vs. metric convergence you ask about, but there is a problem in your justification here. You're right that if [itex] \lim_{n\to \infty} x_n = x [/itex], then [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \tan^{-1}(x_n) = \tan^{-1}(x)[/itex] by the continuity of arctan, but the converse isn't always true for a given continuous function. For instance, take [itex] f(x) = x^2 [/itex] and [itex] x_n = -1 [/itex] for all n. Then [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} f(x_n) = 1 = f(1) [/itex], but [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n \neq 1 [/itex].

But this problem doesn't arise for arctan. Can you think what property of arctan makes this implication true?

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    I've just realised that the question points out that [itex]d_2[/itex] is a metric with the property that [itex]d_2(x,y)< \pi[/itex] for all [itex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] - does this help? I can't see what property of arctan makes this implication true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?