Convergence of Science and Spirituality

In summary, there is a belief that understanding the nature of reality is pursued through critical investigation in both science and Buddhism. The Dalai Lama believes that if scientific analysis were to disprove certain claims in Buddhism, they should be abandoned. Some scientists, like Newton and Einstein, saw their work as a way to understand something about a higher power or god. However, this idea of understanding nature as a way to understand god is a metaphysical assumption. Overall, there is a perceived conflict between science and religion, but it may not necessarily be the case.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Dalai Lama said:
-snip-...By taking my personal journey into sciene, I suppose I have stuck my neck out. My confidence in ventureing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims...-snip-

Bstan-'dzin-rgya-mtsho, Dalai Lama XIV, 1935-

The Universe in a single atom

Physics news on Phys.org
I don t really get why there need to be a conflict between science, and religion. All science does is to explain; it makes no clain as to why things are the way they are.

In fact, sciencetists are always claiming that the nature must be ordered, and understandable. These are metaphsycial assuptions. You can replace the word nature, by god and it would still work. If you look at scientists like Newton, or einstein. They felt that by understand nature, they could understand something about god. I am being ambigious. In einsteins case, it is not a god define by any human regligion.

Last edited:

FAQ: Convergence of Science and Spirituality

1. What is the "convergence of science and spirituality"?

The convergence of science and spirituality refers to the growing recognition that these two seemingly opposite fields are actually interconnected and can inform and enhance each other. It is the understanding that science and spirituality both seek to understand the world and our place in it, albeit through different approaches.

2. How do science and spirituality intersect?

Science and spirituality intersect in many ways. For example, both seek to understand the nature of reality, whether it be through studying the physical world or exploring the depths of consciousness. Additionally, both rely on observation and experimentation to gain knowledge and understanding.

3. Is there any evidence to support the convergence of science and spirituality?

Yes, there is increasing evidence to support the convergence of science and spirituality. For instance, neuroscientific research has shown that practices like meditation and mindfulness can have positive effects on brain function and overall well-being. Furthermore, quantum physics has challenged traditional notions of reality and opened the door for a more spiritual understanding of the universe.

4. How can the convergence of science and spirituality benefit society?

The convergence of science and spirituality has the potential to benefit society in many ways. By combining scientific knowledge and spiritual principles, we can create a more comprehensive understanding of the world and our place in it. This can lead to advancements in fields such as healthcare, technology, and environmental sustainability. It can also promote a more holistic and compassionate approach to addressing societal issues.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the convergence of science and spirituality?

One common misconception is that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive and cannot coexist. However, as we continue to learn more about the world and ourselves, it is becoming clear that these two fields are not in opposition, but rather can complement each other. Another misconception is that spirituality is purely based on faith and not rooted in evidence. In reality, spirituality can be supported by scientific research and personal experiences.

Back