Convergence of alternating series

In summary: I was focused on the fact that the sequence converges, and didn't consider that it might be increasing.The sequence is not decreasing, so the Leibniz criteria does not apply.
Incand

Homework Statement

Do the following series converge or diverge?
## \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n} +(-1)^nn}## and
##\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{1+(-1)^n\sqrt{n}}##.

Homework Equations

Leibniz convergence criteria:
If ##\{a_n\}_{k=1}^\infty## is positive, decreasing and ##a_n \to 0##, the alternating series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1}a_n## is convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect the first series converges and the second diverges but I need to show that.
Starting with the first series it can be rewritten
##\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{(-1)^n}{(-1)^n+\sqrt{n}}##
At this point I had hopes that there exists an ##N## for which ##\forall n \ge N## ##a_n## is decreasing. That is show that
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}}\frac{1}{-1+\sqrt{n+1}} \le \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{n}}##. Sadly based on some numerical experiments this doesn't seem to be true so I need another approach.

Another idea was to be able to pair together the coefficients
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}}\frac{1}{-1+\sqrt{n+1}}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{n}}## to show that the partial sum ##\lim_{n\to \infty} S_{2n}## exists but I see no useful way to show this either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Incand said:

Homework Statement

Do the following series converge or diverge?
## \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n} +(-1)^nn}## and
##\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{1+(-1)^n\sqrt{n}}##.

Homework Equations

Leibniz convergence criteria:
If ##\{a_n\}_{k=1}^\infty## is positive, decreasing and ##a_n \to 0##, the alternating series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1}a_n## is convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect the first series converges and the second diverges but I need to show that.
Starting with the first series it can be rewritten
##\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{(-1)^n}{(-1)^n+\sqrt{n}}##
At this point I had hopes that there exists an ##N## for which ##\forall n \ge N## ##a_n## is decreasing. That is show that
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}}\frac{1}{-1+\sqrt{n+1}} \le \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{n}}##. Sadly based on some numerical experiments this doesn't seem to be true so I need another approach.

Another idea was to be able to pair together the coefficients
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}}\frac{1}{-1+\sqrt{n+1}}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{n}}## to show that the partial sum ##\lim_{n\to \infty} S_{2n}## exists but I see no useful way to show this either.
You should be able to show the following.

##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(-1+\sqrt{n})} \ge \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(1+\sqrt{n})}##

then ...

Does ##\displaystyle \lim_{{n\to\infty}} \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(-1+\sqrt{n})}\right) = 0 \ ?##

SammyS said:
You should be able to show the following.

##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(-1+\sqrt{n})} \ge \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(1+\sqrt{n})}##

then ...

Does ##\displaystyle \lim_{{n\to\infty}} \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(-1+\sqrt{n})}\right) = 0 \ ?##
Both of these statements are obviously true (the first since ##(-1+\sqrt{n}) < (1+\sqrt{n})##). But I don't see how either one helps me ?
I still have that alternating sign that doesn't allow me to use the comparison test. For example I can't say that ##\sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}((-1)^n+\sqrt{n})} \le \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}(-1+\sqrt{n})}##and neither series converges absolutely either.

I'm not sure I should use the Leibniz criteria either, these exercises are taken from a section covering that but I suspect they're meant to show cases where I can't apply that criteria directly or perhaps not at all and have to find other methods.

I think I solved it now. Summing up the ##2n## and ##2n+1## terms seem to work.
##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}+2n}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n+1}-2n-1} = \frac{\sqrt{2n+1}+\sqrt{2n}-1}{-4n^2+\dots}##
which is of order ##\frac{1}{n^{3/2}}## and hence converges.

While for the second one doing the same thing
##\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2n}} + \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{2n+1}} = \frac{\sqrt{2n}-\sqrt{2n+1}+2}{2n}## which is of order ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}## and hence diverges if you do compare it against the harmonic series.

What I intended with my suggestion was to suggest a way for you to use the Leibniz criteria.

You have for the first series: ##\displaystyle \ \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{(-1)^n}{(-1)^n+\sqrt{n}} = \sum_{n=2}^\infty (-1)^n a_n \ ##

Thus ##\displaystyle \ a_n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(-1)^n+\sqrt{n}} \ . ## We see that an is positive. for all n ≥ 2, so the series is indeed alternating.

To see that the sequence, [ an ] converges, compare it to the sequence, [ bn ], where
##\displaystyle b_n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(-1+\sqrt{n})} \ . ##​

When n is odd, an = bn .

When n is even, an < bn , which is consistent with the first inequality I gave in post #2, and is:
##\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(1+\sqrt{n})}<\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\frac{1}{(-1+\sqrt{n})}##​

I think you'll find that the sequence, [bn] converges to 0, therefore, [an] converges to zero

Likes Incand
Right that's a good way to show that ##a_n## converges. I never thought about that part since it seemed quite obvious that the sequence converges with the ##\sqrt{n}## factor in the denominator. But this still wouldn't allow us to use the Leibniz criteria right since we don't have a decreasing sequence?

So let's see if I understand this right, your post would be a way to start if Leibniz criteria would be applicable, but in this case it turned out to not be? I included the criteria in the post since most problem in the same section seemed to be using that criteria so I thought it would be of use.

Incand said:
Right that's a good way to show that ##a_n## converges. I never thought about that part since it seemed quite obvious that the sequence converges with the ##\sqrt{n}## factor in the denominator. But this still wouldn't allow us to use the Leibniz criteria right since we don't have a decreasing sequence?

So let's see if I understand this right, your post would be a way to start if Leibniz criteria would be applicable, but in this case it turned out to not be? I included the criteria in the post since most problem in the same section seemed to be using that criteria so I thought it would be of use.
Oh! Of course.

I missed the word 'decreasing'.

DUH !

Likes Incand
Then we're on the same page! It didn't help that I thought I should use that criteria for a problem it didn't apply to at the start.

1. What is the definition of convergence of an alternating series?

The convergence of an alternating series refers to the behavior of a series that alternates between positive and negative terms. It is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit as more terms are added.

2. How can I determine if an alternating series converges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of an alternating series. One common test is the Alternating Series Test, which states that if the absolute values of the terms in the series decrease and approach zero, then the series must converge.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges regardless of the order in which its terms are added. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, refers to a series that only converges when its terms are added in a specific order.

4. Can an alternating series diverge?

Yes, an alternating series can diverge. For example, the alternating harmonic series (1 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 + ...) is an alternating series that diverges. It is important to use convergence tests to determine if a series converges or diverges.

5. How is the convergence of an alternating series related to the convergence of its terms?

The convergence of an alternating series is directly related to the convergence of its terms. If the terms in the series do not approach zero, then the series cannot converge. Additionally, if the terms in the series do not decrease in absolute value, then the series cannot converge.