Convergence of Slowly Growing Functions in Distribution Theory

  • Thread starter Thread starter tom_rylex
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
tom_rylex
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
This class is making my head hurt. I could use some help.

Homework Statement


Show that if f(x) is a function of slow growth on the real line,
[tex]\lim}_{\substack \varepsilon \rightarrow0^+} \langle f(x)e^{- \varepsilon |x|}, \phi (x) \rangle = \langle f, \phi \rangle[/tex]
where [itex]\phi (x)[/itex] is a test function.

Homework Equations


Definition of distribution:
[tex]\langle f , \phi \rangle = \int_{R_n} f(x) \phi(x) dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


If I look at the function [itex]f_\varepsilon (x) = f(x)e^{-\varepsilon | x |}[/itex], I can say that the function is locally integrable, (actually [itex]L_1 (-\infty, \infty)[/itex]). Can't I just invoke the Lebesgue Dominated Convergence theorem here? That is, since [itex]f_\varepsilon[/itex] is locally integrable, and [itex]f_\varepsilon \rightarrow f[/itex] pointwise, that [itex]f_\varepsilon \rightarrow f[/itex] in a distributional sense.

Or am I missing something here. Are there other considerations to take into account?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think dominated convergence theorem works, doesn't it? You know f*phi is integrable. e^(-epsilon*|x|)*f(x)*phi(x) converges pointwise to f*phi and is dominated by |f*phi|. It all sounds kosher to me.