Convergence of Subsequences of Cosine Function in Real Analysis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
kbfrob

Homework Statement


Show that for any L[tex]\in[/tex][-1,1] there exists a subsequence of cos(n) such that that subsequence converges to L

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea.
I suppose that the ultimate goal would be to find a subsequence nk so that nk converges to x, where x = cos-1(L) + 2[tex]\pi[/tex]k
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the graph of y = cos(x) and the parts of this graph that lie between the horizontal lines
[tex]y = L + \epsilon[/tex]
and
[tex]y = L - \epsilon[/tex].
Some of the values of cos(n) will lie in this band.
 
how can you guarantee that there is a value of n in that band? n is a natural number so I'm not sure how you can say that it is in there.
 
The easiest way is to show that n mod 2*pi is dense in [0,2pi]. Then use that cos is continuous. To show the density use that pi is irrational. If r is irrational then n*r mod 1 is dense in [0,1]. I KNOW this is true. For some reason the proof doesn't stick in my head. I've looked it up more than once. Do I have to do it again, or can you figure it out? I know it involves the pigeonhole principle.