Convergence of the Sequence \sqrt[n]{n} to 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Dodobird
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Be [itex]K \geq 1[/itex]. Conclude out of the statement that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty }[/itex] [itex]\sqrt[n]{n} = 1[/itex], dass [itex]\sqrt[n]{K} = 1[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K} \Rightarrow 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \geq 1 + ...[/itex]

I got issues with the right inequality, where the 3 dots are. I´m not sure if just insert the [itex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex] there and that s about it.

Thanks in advance ;)

Christian...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]1 \leq K \leq n[/itex] for some big n (we're going to let it tend to infinity later)
Then we can do a squeeze:
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{1} \leq \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{K} \leq \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex]
 
Many thanks Fightfish for your quick reply so i can state the following:

For the 3 real Sequences [itex]\sqrt[n]{1} , \sqrt[n]{K} , \sqrt[n]{n}[/itex] [itex]\exists N[/itex] [itex]\forall n \geq N[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt[n]{1} \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \leq \sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]

and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{1} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex].


[itex]\Rightarrow \sqrt[n]{K}[/itex] converges and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{K} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]
 
I thought about this and maybe this one here is more elegant than the other one, would be cool if someone could backcheck it.

[itex]\forall n \text{ with } n > K >1: \sqrt[n]{K} <\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex]

and [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{1}= 1[/itex]

[itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{K} \leq \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{n} = 1[/itex]

Thanks again for your helping...
 
Dodobird said:

Homework Statement


Be [itex]K \geq 1[/itex]. Conclude out of the statement that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty }[/itex] [itex]\sqrt[n]{n} = 1[/itex], dass [itex]\sqrt[n]{K} = 1[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K} \Rightarrow 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \geq 1 + ...[/itex]

I got issues with the right inequality, where the 3 dots are. I´m not sure if just insert the [itex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/itex] there and that s about it.

Thanks in advance ;)

Christian...
Hello Christian (Dodobird). Welcome to PF !
I also have issues with the inequality:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K}\ \Rightarrow \ 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \geq 1 + ...[/itex]

Why do you have both ≤ and ≥ in the same compound inequality?
 
Thank you Sammy for your warm welcome
Oh yeah, you are right. Both signs should point in the same direction. I mistakenly wrote it in the wrong way.Sorry about that.
So it should be:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K}\ \Rightarrow \ 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \leq 1 + ...[/itex]


Thx ;)
 
Dodobird said:
Thank you Sammy for your warm welcome
Oh yeah, you are right. Both signs should point in the same direction. I mistakenly wrote it in the wrong way.Sorry about that.
So it should be:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty } \sqrt[n]{K}\ \Rightarrow \ 1 \leq \sqrt[n]{K} \leq 1 + ...[/itex]

Thx ;)
I'm just making sure that I understand this exercise.

You are to prove, for K≥1 that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty }\sqrt[n]{K} = 1\,,[/itex] using the result that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty }\sqrt[n]{n}=1\ .[/itex] Is that correct?
 
Yeah, that´s correct Sammy. Do you see any flaws?
I´m pretty new to proofs in Mathematics and still struggle with it and still feel a little bit insecure when I got to prove something.