Convergence time of a recursive function

In summary, the conversation discusses a recursive function that can converge to either a fixed value or a limit cycle depending on the inputs. The speaker is looking for a way to measure the rate of convergence for different inputs, and the solution must be numerical for use in a computer program. The relevant equation involves a finite summation and the speaker is looking for resources on the topic.
wolfpax50
I have a recursive function that will eventually converge to either a fixed value or a limit cycle. Depending on the inputs, it will converge to different values (or cycles) at different rates. How could I go about measuring the rate of convergence for different inputs, regardless of what type of limit it ends up at?

To be specific, the relevant equation is:

pt+1 = f(a0,...,a2r+1;pt)
f(x) = [itex]\sum[/itex]ai(pt)i(1-pt)2r+1-i

The solution must be numerical as it will be part of a computer program. The program will be used to search for inputs that produce long convergence times.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey wolfpax50.

Is the summand i over a finite number of integers or an infinite number?

If its infinite you will want to check whether |ai| and the other term is a summable series. If they are both summable in some norm (typically 2-norm or |.|^2) then your series will converge.

The result is due to the relationship between |a||b| and |a|^2 and |b|^2.

Have you got a book or resource on these sorts of things?

The summation in the second function is finite, from i=0 to i=2r+1. Sorry if that was unclear.

I don't have a book in front of me but I'm educated through college calculus. If you could point me in the right direction the internet is usually a good resource.

Last edited:
If you are summing a finite number of finite terms, then the answer will always be finite no matter what the terms are.

No, it's an infinite recursion of a finite summation. There is a function f which is a finite summation, and a function p which is the recursive iteration of function f.

What is the convergence time of a recursive function?

The convergence time of a recursive function refers to the amount of time it takes for the function to reach its base case and stop calling itself. It can vary depending on the specific function and its input parameters.

How is the convergence time of a recursive function calculated?

The convergence time of a recursive function is typically calculated by analyzing the number of recursive calls made until the base case is reached. This can be done through mathematical analysis or by running the function with various input values and measuring the time it takes to complete.

Can the convergence time of a recursive function be improved?

Yes, the convergence time of a recursive function can be improved by optimizing the algorithm and reducing the number of recursive calls needed. This can be done through techniques such as memoization or using dynamic programming.

What factors can affect the convergence time of a recursive function?

The convergence time of a recursive function can be affected by the complexity of the algorithm, the input parameters, and the efficiency of the implementation. Inefficient recursive calls or a large input value can increase the convergence time.

Is the convergence time of a recursive function always the same?

No, the convergence time of a recursive function can vary depending on the input parameters and the specific implementation of the function. It is important to analyze and optimize the function to achieve the best possible convergence time for a given scenario.